Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Auntee

How to fix Roku zoomed in and cutting screen off?

Check your TV for an "Overscan" setting option. Found my TV had Overscan turned on and when I turned it off I could then see more of the YouTube screen. My TV says Overscan "Extends text and images past the screen edges to hide edge artifacts". 

0 Kudos
27 REPLIES 27
CarlWilliams
Binge Watcher

Re: How to fix Roku zoomed in and cutting screen off?

But you shouldn't have to restart the device EVERYTIME!!!!!! 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

It has NOTHING to do with the TV, it's the Roku device.

CarlWilliams
Binge Watcher

That's exactly what it is, a firmware problem!!

Its no one's tv, no one's remote no ghosts in the house. It's the Roku device period.

BTW, this is 2023 and we're having these amateurish issues????? This **bleep** should've been ironed out in the 90s for Pete's sake.

I've lost interest and respect for this brand. My 15 year old Chromecast Fire stick works faster and is more reliable.

Roku needs to get off their high horse, admit its their unit and FIX THE ISSUE!!! 

RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hello @CarlWilliams

We appreciate your contact!

-Can you please provide us with more information regarding the issue you are experiencing? Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device? 
-What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue? Have you tried connecting the device to another HDMI port as well as using another HDMI cable to see if the issue persists?
-Have you tried connecting the device to a different TV to see if the problem occurs there as well?

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
TeaRacer

Apparently it's a default setting called "overscan" within advanced settings of the Insignia tv. Turn it off and it should work (I fixed it on my own tv about 5 minutes ago)

0 Kudos
CarlWilliams
Binge Watcher

Tx. Nope. I don't have insignia tvs and the problem is variable. Sometimes it does it sometimes it doesn't. NOTHING else has this issue. Not Firestick, not apple tv, only Roku, BOTH OF THEM!!

RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@CarlWilliams

Thanks for following up. 

Some users reported they have resolved the issue you are seeing in this process, by clicking the button on the TV remote that said "aspect" on it, and it interchanged through the settings cinema, normal, wide, zoom, etc. Then choose normal. 

If this doesn't help, sent us a screenshot of the display showing on your TV and the serial number of the affected Roku device. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Wregan
Reel Rookie

Roku screen won’t fit on my TV

Hi,

we just got a Roku Express 4k+ streaming stick to set up in our garage. Our neighbor gave us his old Sanyo TV, which we planned to use with the Roku. When we set it up however, the picture is too big for the TV! 
we have tried adjusting the picture with the TV remote, however we can’t seem to find a way to fit the screen. When we tried going through the Roku settings, again we can’t seem to find anywhere to adjust the screen size. It is like the whole screen is zoomed in! 
We have used Roku for many years and have multiple other Roku sticks set up with other TVs. We googled and the answers all talked about “advance picture settings” on the Roku settings menu, but that doesn’t show up anywhere on our Roku. I even checked the one in our living room to see if I could find it there, but I can’t! Any help please? Thank you

RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku screen won’t fit on my TV

Hello @Wregan

Welcome to the Roku Community. 

Thanks for reporting this issue to us. Have you checked the setting on your TV? Kindly follow the steps I have posted above in checking the aspect option on your TV settings and see if it helps. 

Keep us posted on how it goes. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Wregan
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku screen won’t fit on my TV

We already tried that. Our TV doesn’t really have much picture settings. We adjusted it as much as possible (horizontal/vertical) but there is no aspect ratio setting on the TV settings

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.