Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LuvJmm
Streaming Star

Re: Discovery plus app keeps pausing

Jump to solution

Well thank you for replying, it’s about time, but if you read through the very long thread of unresponded to posts you’ll find that people have tried that already, and many more solutions, and are still having issues. And while Roku didn’t make the Discovery Plus app,  they did choose to carry the app and should therefore accept some responsibility for that and hold them accountable for quality on behalf of your customers...after all, it’s very apparent by this thread alone that customers have no power and no one listens. Considering Roku doesn’t even check its customer threads and gives canned responses without even thoroughly reading the complaints when they finally do, customer satisfaction doesn’t seem to be a priority to companies like Roku these days. If we’ll pay anyway why care right? 

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@LuvJmm wrote:

Well thank you for replying, it’s about time, but if you read through the very long thread of unresponded to posts you’ll find that people have tried that already, and many more solutions, and are still having issues. And while Roku didn’t make the Discovery Plus app,  they did choose to carry the app and should therefore accept some responsibility for that and hold them accountable for quality on behalf of your customers...after all, it’s very apparent by this thread alone that customers have no power and no one listens. Considering Roku doesn’t even check its customer threads and gives canned responses without even thoroughly reading the complaints when they finally do, customer satisfaction doesn’t seem to be a priority to companies like Roku these days. If we’ll pay anyway why care right? 

You have the option to report the app to Roku:

Select the app, push options (*) then "Give us feedback"

Thats the "some responsibility" they've accepted, and far more than most other streaming platforms.

Clearly Roku did check the threads and gave an appropriate (if canned) response (you are complaining about it now), regardless of the fact that you chose not to accept the response.

And while Roku's overall customer service is pretty poor at best, especially since the onset of the pandemic and their using of California's draconian lockdown as a pretext for reducing it, they arent going to make your frustration with another company's app performance/customer service their "customer satisfaction" priority (that would be absurd and ridiculous).

You paid Roku for the device/platform - you didnt pay them for the Discovery+ service/app or customer service thereof - you pay/paid Discovery+ for that (the company that provides/codes/maintains/develops the Discovery+ app on all platforms).

You need to take responsibility for your Discovery+ subscription and direct your frustration/concerns/complaints with it at the correct and appropriate party:  Discovery+

https://help.discoveryplus.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Imemine
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I did the feedback through the app but I actually thought I was reporting it to Discovery Plus assumed because it's their app.  I didn't know I was reporting it to Roku. I've been having email discussions with Discovery Plus regarding problems but they don't really help much either. They keep telling me to delete the app and reinstall it when in fact there's no area for me to delete it. Good to know but it's not going straight to the people who have the app. The problems they're having belong to Discovery not to Roku. Although I wish Roku would take that sound leveling off your devices because it screws up the syncing with the voices, but that's another story 🤣🤣🤣🤣

0 Kudos
Imemine
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Streamer user

I have to respond to one of your comments in your long message to luvjmm. I tried to get a refund from Discovery Plus or an extra couple free weeks because the first week I had free I didn't get to see anything and they told me since I paid through my Roku that they couldn't give me any refunds. I have the email. They said purchasing Discovery plus through my Roku causes me to lose any kind of refund I could get through Discovery Plus. I just noticed your comment in there about who we pay and according to Discovery plus we pay you for their service.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
@Imemine wrote:

I did the feedback through the app but I actually thought I was reporting it to Discovery Plus assumed because it's their app.  I didn't know I was reporting it to Roku. I've been having email discussions with Discovery Plus regarding problems but they don't really help much either. They keep telling me to delete the app and reinstall it when in fact there's no area for me to delete it. Good to know but it's not going straight to the people who have the app. The problems they're having belong to Discovery not to Roku. Although I wish Roku would take that sound leveling off your devices because it screws up the syncing with the voices, but that's another story 🤣🤣🤣🤣

If you can't delete an app its because you subscribed to that service through Roku (Roku Pay).

You'll need to cancel your subscription through Roku and directly subscribe to the service provider themselves (Discovery+ in this case):

https://my.roku.com/account/subscriptions

I don't work for Roku (if I did, their product quality in terms of firmware/functionality engineering would be far higher)  but the "sound leveling" functionality/implementation could and should be vastly improved; regardless, you can disable it by pushing the options (*) button during playback and making sure "volume mode" or "sound settings" are off.

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
@Imemine wrote:

Streamer user

I have to respond to one of your comments in your long message to luvjmm. I tried to get a refund from Discovery Plus or an extra couple free weeks because the first week I had free I didn't get to see anything and they told me since I paid through my Roku that they couldn't give me any refunds. I have the email. They said purchasing Discovery plus through my Roku causes me to lose any kind of refund I could get through Discovery Plus. I just noticed your comment in there about who we pay and according to Discovery plus we pay you for their service.

...and it wasn't even that long of a message... (perhaps including the quote it is)

Discovery+ was right in the specific sense (since you paid for the Discovery+ sub through Roku Pay, they can't directly help you), though perhaps dissembling in the general sense: almost all of that subscription money goes to Discovery+, a small "transaction process" fee goes to Roku.

Regardless, to save yourself current and future enhanced frustration over who is responsible for what etc, you should cancel that Roku-based subscription, and subscribe directly to Discovery+.

C_I
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

And to do that, install the app and sign up. I don't think its available to pay for by Roku Pay or putting it on the card on file for your Roku device. You directly subscribe to it through Discovery + as it is not available as a premium service through the Roku Channel. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Yes I have the same issue. Then after awhile it states over at the beginning.

Imemine
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I paid from my Discovery plus through Roku.

LuvJmm
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Yeah, I have tried every suggestion out there, and mine keeps pausing randomly regardless, on some shows but not all. All on Discovery Plus through Roku though.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.