Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
larksmom
Reel Rookie

How can I get local channels?

Jump to solution

I can get some of the local news and weather on Haystack, but not programs, or live news.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: How can I get local channels?

Jump to solution

Hi @larksmom,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We can certainly understand your inquiry about how you can watch local news on your Roku device. 

We recommend taking a look at our Roku Support article for more information about how to watch local news on your Roku device. , visit our Support page here: How to find news on your Roku® streaming device | Official Roku Support

For additional reference, check out our post on the Roku Blog here: How to watch local channels, news and weather on Roku devices

Hope you'll find this info useful. Let us know in case you've still got any questions.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @larksmom,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We can certainly understand your inquiry about how you can watch local news on your Roku device. 

We recommend taking a look at our Roku Support article for more information about how to watch local news on your Roku device. , visit our Support page here: How to find news on your Roku® streaming device | Official Roku Support

For additional reference, check out our post on the Roku Blog here: How to watch local channels, news and weather on Roku devices

Hope you'll find this info useful. Let us know in case you've still got any questions.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@larksmom 

Some of the free channels like Tubi, Xumo, Plex, and Roku Channel offer some free local news (depending on your location) in their LiveTV guide.  LiveTV in streaming is a bit different than actual Live TV. (It means continuous playing from a library, not necessarily live, current, up to the minute viewing).

If you are looking for your local over-the-air (OTA)/antenna channels for free, then the easiest way is to attach an antenna to the back of your TV in the antenna/coaxial input.  Then use your TV remote (not Roku remote) if using a Roku device connected to your TV via HDMI, to switch to the antenna input whenever you want to watch your local channels.  Try dusting off even an old rabbit ear antenna and see if it works for you.

Otherwise, you can search the Roku Channel Store on your device for your local news channels (some have dedicated, standalone channels/app) or you can subscribe to a premium cable-alternative channel/app like Hulu or YoutubeTV that offer local channels in their packages (like cable, will be paying for access to these local channels.)

-----

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Jump to solution

I'm in Lake Tahoe. How do I get local channels?

0 Kudos