Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BruceCM
Channel Surfer

Great Courses multiple access

I'm considering subscribing to Great Courses and would like to know if this subscription service can be accessed by more than one location. Specifically, under one subscription can I share it with another household.

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Great Lectures multiple access

That's probably a better question for them, but in general it's better to subscribe directly with a provider than through Roku if you want to do something like you're suggesting.

They do mention Roku in their FAQ:
https://www.thegreatcourses.com/support/streaming

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
BruceCM
Channel Surfer

Re: Great Courses multiple access

Thanks for the response.

I contacted Great Courses (GC) who referred me back to Roku as the rep indicated they have nothing to do with the Roku streaming service that is offering the GC Signature Collection subscription .

The link you provided has to do with GC core streaming business and doesn't address Roku as a streaming medium.

So to my understanding simultaneous streaming is a Roku issue, but I can't find anything on it at the Roku site and I can't find a customer support e-mail address to ask this question.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Great Lectures multiple access

Great Lectures or Great Courses?  I don't see the former in the Roku Channel Store.  I do see the latter, which says it was developed by TheGreatCoursesPlus.

0 Kudos
BruceCM
Channel Surfer

Yeah, so sorry. Great Courses. I'll see if I can edit

Added: yes, I updated my postings but cannot update others.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

OK.  Since their app is developed by "TheGreatCoursesPlus" I don't see how they can bounce your question to Roku.  For example, Roku doesn't limit how many devices stream Netflix, but I believe Netflix themselves only allow two simultaneous streams per account. (I'm not sure if that's Netflix's exact rule, but every content provider can set their own limits.)

0 Kudos
makaiguy

The questions you need to ask the channel deve!oper are

• how many simultaneous streams they will support on a single account?
  • must these streams all be located on the same local network?.

No need to confuse things by mentioning Roku at all.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Johnbuoy

I am in the middle of the same situation. 

Apparently, the content of this course can only one accessed through a specifically ROKU device like  ROKU TV or ROKU device that you purchase through ROKU (there are other sources) I find it a bit frustrating as it cannot be accessed through a ROKU App on a tablet or a smart TV. Thus, you pay to watch the courses and pay to have something on which to watch it. 

0 Kudos
BruceCM
Channel Surfer

We can access Great Courses at two different separate locations, so it doesn't look like the GC subscription is limited to one TV. However, it may limit watching it to one location at a time. If anyone can find out if you can stream at two (or more) locations simultaneously, I'd much appreciate it as I'd like to give access to our daughter and her family if that is possible.

0 Kudos
renojim

@Johnbuoy, the Roku app is not a substitute for a Roku player and most (all?) premium services that are available through The Roku Channel are not available on therokuchannel.roku.com or via the app on a tablet or non-Roku smart TV.  I don't know if it's possible or not for Great Courses, but for maximum flexibility always subscribe directly with the provider and not through Roku.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos