Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PDDCT1
Reel Rookie

FYI: PBS Livestream issue is real

PBS livestream suddenly not loading as of yesterday. This is *not* an issue with which type of Roku, as I have both a stick and another TV with Roku built in. 

Just went to PBS website to log a ticket, and there's a message displayed at the top of the page: PBS Livestream is currently down for Roku users, please do not log a ticket for this issue". Hope they fix it soon! 

0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
monophoto
Streaming Star

Re: FYI: PBS Livestream issue is real

Problem is continuing for a second day.

Is anyone looking for a cause/soluiton?

0 Kudos
zoespbf
Reel Rookie

The wording on the PBS website actually reads "Roku live streaming remains down. We will update this banner when resolved. There is no need to submit a ticket for this issue." 

I suspect this issue, based on my reading of that message, is NOT a technical one; but instead might be described as business / financial. PBS and Roku might be in a row, and I don't think there's any reason to expect an immediate resolution. If the problem was a technical one I think PBS would have given a simple description; instead they stated there was no need to report it (they're already well aware it exists)

HOLD ON TO YOUR HATS !! 

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

I dunno.  Usually if there is some kind of dispute, you hear about that dispute long before anything is taken down.  The content providers usually want the viewers to become upset and complain to the carrier.  (Like all those: "I'll dump Roku if you dump youtube" posts recently.)  Did anyone click on the more details link?  I tried but it wanted me to log into something and I didn't want to.

0 Kudos
PDDCT1
Reel Rookie

UPDATE ON PBS WEBSITE! Re: FYI: PBS Livestream issue is real

We’re sorry that our livestream feature has been unavailable on Roku starting on Friday, December 10. We have submitted a fix to Roku to release on all devices, and Roku has told us they’ll publish this fix tomorrow, December 16 at 1 PM ET. 

Once the fix is published and reaches your Roku, your Roku should automatically update and you’ll be able to immediately watch the livestream. Roku doesn’t release the fix to all Roku at the same time, so you may need to wait another 24-48 hours to receive the update after 1 PM ET on December 16.

While Roku does update channels automatically, if you would like to manually check for the update, you can follow these steps:

On your Roku Home Screen, use your remote to highlight the PBS channel icon and press the star or asterisk button on your remote > Select Check for updates

If the update is available, your Roku will tell you and prompt you to install the update. Confirm the update and wait for it to finish installing. Once the update is installed, open the channel and try to view the livestream.

If you are not prompted to install an update after checking for updates, this means Roku has not yet released the fix to your device. Please visit your Roku again later to check for updates.

You can also check for updates for all of your Roku channels via Roku’s main settings. On your Roku Home Screen, select the Roku Settings option > Select System > Select Update System > Select Check for updates

We’ll also be updating our status banner at the top of our help site at help.pbs.org as we have more information. Due to the large amount of messages we receive, we’re not always able to respond to everyone right away, and we recommend visiting our site to check for updates as we post them.

Thank you again for your patience and continued support of PBS!

PDDCT1
Reel Rookie

Please see the update I just pasted as a reply on my original post, it looks like it may be fixed tomorrow 12/16🤞🤞

0 Kudos
zoespbf
Reel Rookie

Re: UPDATE ON PBS WEBSITE! Re: FYI: PBS Livestream issue is real

sounds good.

Trouble is, I'm not buying the reason/excuse given. In any case it'll be good to get streaming back since I decided to get streaming in the first place to avoid watching on my computer (which I'm doing right now). Sorry to say you and Roku are playing with people

0 Kudos
zoespbf
Reel Rookie

That's wonderful. Let's keep our fingers crossed. However, I'm not expecting things to change until late tomorrow (maybe); but most likely not until sometime over the weekend.

Have a nice weekend.

You know, I'm new to steaming; and it seems obvious it could have been a mistake. Instead of being dependent upon good behavior from a single cable company; I'm now dependent upon good behavior from the media companies themselves as well as Roku. Any one of them can play us.

Ain't that wonderful. Technology has REALLY 'improved' our lives !?!?!?!?!?!

0 Kudos
monophoto
Streaming Star

I share the concern about the wisdom of making the switch to streaming.

We have one TV equipped with a ROKU - so no PBS for reasons that are never explained.  And we have a second TV that the salesman promised would be just wonderful - except its an LG and it's operating system isn't compatible PBS, something I discovered only after many attempts to program it to access PBS. 

So it appears that we have a choice between being abused by the cable company, or being abused by technology manufacturers who promise but don't actually deliver. 

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

When I was young there were 3 TV channels.  I could watch them on a 25" SD TV that cost about $4000 in inflation-adjusted dollars.  And it was made out of tubes so the mean time between failures was a month at most.  My parents had no TV when they were young.  (Not to mention computers, internet etc.)  We're in a golden age of TV these days.  The quality and choices are just amazing.  But if you don't like it, get rid of it.  Books, libraries, dogs, bird watching, gardening, … all the pre-tech amusements are still there waiting for you if you prefer them.

0 Kudos