Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dankb
Channel Surfer

Errors on playback from various channels

Various "license" errors playing content on hulu peacock and YouTube came up all at once.  Only roku content plays.

Peacock says generic playback error 

Hulu p-dev320 error

Youtube ? License error

Roku device is to blame.

How to fix?

Roku ultra on other tv works fine

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Errors on playback from various channels

Even though your Ultra works, I'd still try rebooting everything - gateway/modem/router and Roku.  Unplug the power from them for several seconds, plug in the modem/router, wait a minute or two and plug in the Roku.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Dankb
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the help.

In fact I did do all of the above 2 or 3 times.

When we found Hulu's error would go away, we power cycled the cable modem, router, and pulled the roku stick and usb out of the TV in question. No changes.

Then we found that Peacock also wouldn't play content. We just have a free account but have enjoyed some old series TV on there.

Last night I found this to clear the Roku cache:

Select Home on the main menu.
Then, on the remote controller press Home 5 times + press Up + press Rewind 2 times + press Fast Forward 2 times. It should take a few seconds to clear the cache.

Seemed to reset roku, but didn't help.

After trying that, I even tried my youtube accnt (also free) under roku and it gave me a license issue on a free with ads movie.

The only final option I have is the hard reset of Roku and redoing the channels I want one by one. If that doesn't work I'll have to get a new device. Hate to give Roku any $$ for failure on their part.

Perhaps an upgrade deal is available. I've been meaning to complain anyway since this remote uses batteries at an alarming rate, ~$10/month.

0 Kudos
renojim

It sounds like the factory reset is your last gasp hope.  I don't know why so many remotes eat batteries, but I've yet to see a solution other than possibly a new remote and I'm not sure that works all of the time.  You might want to try swapping devices on your TVs.  One of my theories for the remote problem is that RF interference is causing the remote to work harder, hence the battery issue.  You don't say if the "bad" device is an Ultra or not.  If it's a stick, that could certainly be an issue due to its close proximity to the TV.  Whether that could cause the playback issues I couldn't say.

As for a possible deal, check your account at https://my.roku.com/upgrade/.

Dankb
Channel Surfer

I'll try the factory reset after work.

The problem child is a stick+.  Worked fine for over a year (16mo), so no warranty.

I think swapping devices will be trickier than it's worth. 

Nothing good on upgrade.

Probably get the ultra LT since I don't need the 2 things that make the Ultra "better". I think the new software is working better on hulu and roku than it was before, but Hulu Live is still too slow to switch channels and everything else is slower than I'd hoped switching from cable.

Any knowledge about newer devices and battery life? You would hope they'd be better after so many complaints. The ultra I have now isn't great either and it doesn't get used as much.

thanks again

0 Kudos
renojim

Since both the Ultra and the Stick+ are dual-band, you may want to try both 2.4 and 5GHz if you have them available.  It wouldn't hurt to try different channels as well.  The remote uses whatever channel the Roku uses to connect to your Wi-Fi.

I've had Roku RF remotes since the Bluetooth remote of the Roku 2XS and I've never seen the battery issue, but I tend to avoid the sticks and I always use a wired connection where possible.  I use cheap rechargeable batteries, so when they die I just pop in a charged pair that's been sitting in the refrigerator to help keep them from discharging on their own.  I can't say that I notice having to change them often, but I couldn't tell you how long they last.  If your stick uses the USB port on your TV for power and the TV shuts it down when you turn off the TV, I'd use the supplied power adapter.  Another theory of mine that may or may not hold water is that the remote is wasting energy trying to connect to a device that's powered down.

With the stick, you should probably get the short HDMI extension cable to get it away from the TV.  Roku has them for free ( https://my.roku.com/HDMI ), but given the problems so many people have ordering them you may want to just get one online if you have any trouble.  Use the serial number that shows under Settings->System->About or copy and paste the one that shows under your linked devices at https://my.roku.com .  Only Roku knows why the serial number on the device doesn't match the others.

Keep in mind (unless it's changed lately), the Ultra LT is a generation behind the Ultra.  Not that there's anything wrong with that and I'd take it over any stick.

I'm assuming you've checked for updates which should happen automatically anyway, but are both the Ultra and the stick on the same software version (you can see it under Setting->System->About)?  Version 10.5 is rolling out now, so one may have it and one may not.

Dankb
Channel Surfer

I'm pretty cheap on the wireless setup. One day I'll upgrade to dual band whole house setup, but for now I'll settle.

How do you change the wifi channel? gave up on recharge batts. Never worked long enough. I was thinking that the remote might have been checking in on a powered down device as well. The ultra is always on, however and I have to worry that it's playing that movie I still after I go to sleep.

Leaning to upgrading anyway rather than working to improve the stick. Didn't realize the LT was yrs old. Might just go for the ultra at +$20.

weirdly my ultra says it checked for an update this morning but is still at 10.0 and the stick is at 10.5. Last update only 2 days ago. I'm thinking this caused my problems.

Still trying to get to the fact reset.

0 Kudos
Dankb
Channel Surfer

did a hard reset of the roku stick+

Now it won't connect to the network. No idea what happened. Spent an hour trying to verify that the pw for my wireless is correct and that the roku device just hates me.

This device is just messed up.

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @LauraCote321,

Thanks for joining us here in the Roku Community!

We are grateful that you reported this Hulu issue, and we would be happy to assist you.

Please let us know if you observe any error messages. What troubleshooting measures have you tried to take care of this so far?

In order for us to help you even more, please tell us more about this.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos