Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
George7
Binge Watcher

Re: Channel launch issue - "Can't run channel" Screenshots

Jump to solution

@StreamerUser 

I already did all that
We are following the "solutions" on this thread. 

It did not help

It is obvious that a lot of people have experienced issues since a couple of days ago, something happened at Roku
and they said that they are working on it 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Pate2021 wrote:

I am only reporting what I did and that it fixed my problem.  I'm not tech support, just a customer who came on here looking for a solution.  I changed my FREE Aquatic Life screensaver to the clock and then Sling would load.  Sling is the only channel with which I had issues.  It worked for me...just sharing the info.

Good feedback Pete - thats #4 on the workarounds/solutions list.

Aquatic Life is a common "offender" in this situation when channels (especially YT/YTTV/ATV/AP and other larger memory using apps) wont load (though other larger/resource intensive screensavers can have the same effect/impact).

George7
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@StreamerUser 

I guess I am the one giving you bad feedback

there are so many people calling the customer support that they put this message today:

"Update 9/15/2021 9:00 AM PST 
We are continuing to investigate this issue. Thank you for your continued patience while we work to resolve it. If you are encountering this, you do not need to contact customer support. "

I guess they all installed a screen saver

So strange you got so much time to post and repost the screen saver thing

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@George7 

Thats true - RokuOS firmware upgrades and middleware installs can/do routinely cause channel loading issues, especially with each new/larger OS update and additional middleware (hidden Roku apps) that get installed.

The list of workarounds/solutions was developed/develops over time to address these issues with firmware and (hidden middleware) updates that cause these app loading problems.

Changing to a simple screensaver, or to the simple default theme are workarounds for Roku's inefficient/bloated code and middleware app management.

They also only work with certain older lower memory (512MB) models - hence the list.

The workarounds/solutions on the list dont work for all models in all configurations or even all the time (some work better for some models and not at all for others, and sometimes none at all work), which is why you start at #1 and work your way down.

To be clear - the list is a way around Roku's/App developers' sloppy coding, and is in no way provided by nor specifically sanctioned by Roku.

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@George7 

You arent required to accept the list, or use the list, or that it does provide real workarounds/solutions, or the fact that I dont work for Roku.

However, as you can see, others do, and it sometimes works for them.

If you wish to wait for an official fix from Roku that is entirely your choice, and it may in fact be the only way to solve your particular "apps not loading" scenario.

George7
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@StreamerUser 

Like I said I already tried all the "solutions" mentioned on this thread.

None works.

And if there is a bug those "solutions" are not going to work

Looks like PR you are trying to say oh there are solutions but you did not try them

I guess it is our fault though we tried what you said

What it is strange that I bought two ROKU devices from the same Wallmart on week apart, one used by my relatives that has the issue and mine that does not have the issue.

They both come with the default ROKU screensaver and I updated both to the latest software.

Still one works the other only with Prime but not with Sling

Strange

0 Kudos
Shansky

Re: Error: Can't run channel. Prime, Sling & bunch of others

Jump to solution

Thanks for the ideas/workarounds, but I'm not jumping thru hoops for a service and product I pay for.  I don't want to be part of their squabble, so I'll vote with my feet.  I was looking at HULU and now you gave me the motivation to leave.  I'm also jumping to the Fire Stick.  Too bad, since I've been with ROKU and Youtube TV since the spring of 2018.  A curse on both your houses.

Julie44
Reel Rookie

Re: All Channels not working except Netflix

Jump to solution

The message when I go to the Pecock and Roku channel state.

Can’t run channel

The Peacock TV could not be run because it could not be reinstalled from the network. Please shock your network connection and try again. 
check network 

cancel

The message is the same for Roku just replace peacock with Roku. I have checked my connection and get all green check marks. Then it says connection check was successfully.

0 Kudos
msm96wolf1
Channel Surfer

Re: Only 2 channels work after after new remote paired

Jump to solution

Factory reset worked. I do have to go in through Youtube to access YoutubeTv now. The search does not provide the app. Since this is for my office tv, it is ok. If my wife had to deal with this, it would not be worth the hassle and headache. I go to prime first. Roku doesn't realize how close it was to losing a customer. I am still debating if I need to take my two new Roku devices back and just move to Firestick.

dap1
Reel Rookie

Re: Error: Can't run channel. Prime, Sling & bunch of others

Jump to solution

This is not "a small number of customers" issue and nothing has been said for 6 hours while customers are totally hand-tied. I've gotten rid of all the channels I don't think I'll ever use, but nothing changes. There are a few channels that work but the vast majority don't.