Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alignedbydesign
Reel Rookie

ESPN APP WILL NOT ACTIVATE ON ROKU

I'm an Xfinity subscriber. My channel pkg includes all the ##ESPN channels. I use Roku to watch TV. A few times a year I want to catch tennis events, which are programmed on ESPN.

As of this year, the ESPN app on Roku WILL NOT ACTIVATE no matter what I try.

I've uninstalled the app, restarted my Roku, reinstalled it...

I've tried it on multiple Roku systems.

When I try to link ESPN app to my TV provider (Xfinity), i get the success message on my browser, but the app on Roku never updates...it never actually links up.

I spend $$$ on my Xfinity bundle, $$$ on Roku, plus I have a Disney+ login. What the **bleep**?! 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
daisy3512

Where is ESPN+ app on Roku

I have Roku built into my TCL TV.  I have Disney plus, Hulu and ESPN+ billted together on Hulu.  I can pull up on my laptop ESPN+ .  It is not by going through a app.  I was able to sign into ESPN and was able to get into ESPN+.    I tried signing into ESPN on Roku and it will not recognize my password.  This Sr. Citizen doesn't know what to do.  I feel like disconnecting the whole service since I cannot get on my TV.  Any help will be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: Where is ESPN+ app on Roku

As far as I know, you do use the regular ESPN app. It just limits what you can watch. I just double-checked, and it shows my Disney/Hulu/ESPN+ Trio under subscriptions in the app.

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@andyrossis correct.   There is no separate ESPN+ app.  ESPN+ content is added to the standard ESPN app and marked as ESPN+. Unless you have an active ESPN+ subscription you can see the content is there but you can't view it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

I have the same issue. So it's good to know there is no separate ESPN+ app. But when I try to use the ESPN app, it keeps asking for my cable service. I don't have a cable service.

0 Kudos

.@makaiguy ? @andyross ?

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

If you don't have cable or satellite or streaming TV like YouTube TV, then you need a separate subscription. Either standalone, or part of a Disney bundle. You have to sign in with that account.

0 Kudos
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: ESPN APP WILL NOT ACTIVATE ON ROKU

@alignedbydesign wrote:

I'm an Xfinity subscriber. My channel pkg includes all the ##ESPN channels. I use Roku to watch TV. A few times a year I want to catch tennis events, which are programmed on ESPN.

As of this year, the ESPN app on Roku WILL NOT ACTIVATE no matter what I try.

I've uninstalled the app, restarted my Roku, reinstalled it...

I've tried it on multiple Roku systems.

When I try to link ESPN app to my TV provider (Xfinity), i get the success message on my browser, but the app on Roku never updates...it never actually links up.

I spend $$$ on my Xfinity bundle, $$$ on Roku, plus I have a Disney+ login. What the **bleep**?! 

Hi there! The channel is created by ESPN and the authentication happens on the XFINITY side, you could try reaching out to XFINITY. But XFINITY offers their own channel on Roku where you would be able to access your full cable lineup, have you tried over there? Add XFINITY here

If that doesn't work, try reaching out to XFINITY customer support.

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I have the exact same issue and have went through the same process as you. The messed up thing is if you look at the top left of the screen it says “ESPN xfinity” as if it recognizes the provider is logged in. 

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Welcome to the Roku Community, @Docholliday03!

Thanks for reaching out. We'd be happy to help you access the ESPN app on your Roku. 

Kindly refer to @RokuAustin's post above for more information on how to access the ESPN App on your Roku. 

Feel free to respond if you need further clarification and assistance.

Regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.