Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gnarnaimo

Re: Crashing and going back to Roku screen

Jump to solution

I am new to Roku and my maybe 1 month old unit is constantly kicking me out to home screen after watching anything for around 10 minutes. Looking through this thread I fear I have wasted my money. Please tell me there is a legitimate fix for this issue...

Leahlonguski
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi!

yeah it’s so weird. It didn’t do this at my dads but when I moved in with my boyfriend in June it began to do that. Especially when I’m in the app for awhile! We deleted and reinstalled the app (for Netflix) and it seemed to help. Also reset and restarted from the tv itself rather than just turning it on and off and turning on and off the power strip it’s plugged into. Knock on wood but it’s doing well currently. 
I hope some of this helps you!

0 Kudos
Notafanof6
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This solution simply leads back to a general Roku support page. 
I’m consistently having the same problem across many apps.

#crashing 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Notafanof6,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

I'd be happy to look closely to see how we can help get you up and running. Here are a few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing:

1. Are you using a Roku TV or a Roku device?
  2. How long has the issue been occurring?
  3. What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue?
  4. How are you powering your Roku device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet?

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
Notafanof6
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

1. Roku express 4k

2. several months now, but recently (last week) not responding to any fixes. 
3. Everything short of full factory reset. I’ve deleted and reinstalled every app it’s happened on (Netflix, YouTube, YouTube TV, Disney+, Hulu, Apple TV). Restarted the device. Unplugged from the wall. The only fix currently working is unplugging altogether and plugging in an Amazon Fire Stick. Although the interface is even worse than Roku’s I don’t constantly have to see the awful bouncing Roku start screen as it recovers from crashing… because it hasn’t crashed. 
4. Plugged into TV USB which, answering now made me genuinely think about whether that could be the problem, but it has not been a problem for Firestick, so I’m dubious.

0 Kudos
Leahlonguski
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I’ve done this as well but noticed it’s really the Netflix that’s causing the most issues so it’s been deleted and reinstalled like 5 times. It didn’t do this when I lived at my dads, but doing it constantly now that I’ve moved in with my boyfriend in June. 
my tv isn’t very old either so I’m not sure why it’s suddenly being so weird?! But it’s so aggravating especially since I’m healing from surgery and literally have nothing else to do but sleep, watch tv, and go to physical therapy. 
let me know if you find any random tricks that seem to help!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Notafanof6 @Leahlonguski

Thanks for the post.

We would always recommend powering the Roku device to a wall outlet and not through the TV USB port as at times the device may not be able to provide adequate power to the device. 
If you are still experiencing an issue, we would recommend removing the channel(s), restarting the Roku device, and then adding the channel back again, specifically in that order.

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Moodyflyboy
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My Roku stick does this on my Vizio 4k tv.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Moodyflyboy,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

I'd be happy to take a closer look to see how we can help get you up and running. Here are a few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing:

1.   How are you powering the device? Is it plugged into the TV USB port, or is it plugged into the wall outlet with the provided cables?
  2.  Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device?
  3.  Are you receiving error messages or codes when accessing the channel
  4. What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to resolve the issue?

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
Moodyflyboy
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hey Mary. Thank you for reaching out.  I turned off one touch play as another poster suggested.  The problem seems to have disappeared.

Thanks again

0 Kudos