Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stevelp
Binge Watcher

Closed Captioning out of sync

Closed captioning out of sync with movies.  Not all movies, just sometimes.

Movie title "BRITANNIC" (2000) - CC is behind picture about 4-5 seconds which is very annoying.

Movie title "TRAITOR" (2008) - CC is behind about 12 seconds which makes CC totally unusable. 

It has been suggested that this should be checked before you release a video for your customers.  That's a good idea.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Closed Captioning out of sync

Hi, @Stevelp.

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community.

We appreciate you letting us know about the issues with the closed captioning on the Britannic and Traitor movies. Rest assured that we will look closely into this matter for review and correction.

Before proceeding, can you please confirm in which specific channels you are streaming these movies? Also, we highly recommend rebooting/refreshing your Roku device's system to see if the same issue occurs.

Here are the steps to help you:

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Power. If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.
  5. Select System restart

We'll be looking forward to your update!

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Stevelp
Binge Watcher

Hi Carly,    @RokuCarly 

The movies in question are on THE ROKU CHANNEL.  (That's why I told Roku about it.)

Sure, I will "re-boot" my ROKU device.  I don't think that is the issue.  I want to point out that of the several things I viewed on THE ROKU CHANNEL over the past several days, it was just these 2 that had CC out of sync.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @Stevelp!.

Thank you for keeping me posted and for trying to reboot your Roku device. 

In this case, I'd be more than willing to coordinate this with the appropriate team to conduct a thorough investigation on your device. With this being said, kindly provide me with the following information such as follows:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and current software version. (this can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Tracker ID (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  • A short video clip of it happening. (for the video, you may download it on Google Drive and share the link)

If you prefer to send this information via PM, you may send me a message anytime. To send a PM, kindly select my username, View Profile, and on the right side of the page, select Send this user a private message.

I'll be looking forward to your update.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Stevelp
Binge Watcher

Hi @RokuCarly 

The same movies have the same Closed Captioning problem on my THREE ROKU Streaming Sticks and one ONN TV with ROKU builtin. 

Other movies on the ROKU CHANNEL play CC just fine.  (There are exceptions as I have noted in other posts. )

Your suggestion that it is a problem with my ROKU device doesn't seem to hold water.

Your request for sundry information and a video of the CC out of sync seems like you are requesting I jump through too many hoops and are just hoping I will go away. 

In your email you referenced PM, but I send this in the AM.  ha ha

Steve

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for responding, @Stevelp.

I apologize for the confusion. What I meant for PM is a Private Message. 😅

Nevertheless, I've tried to replicate the issue you're referring to and carefully observed the closed captioning on both Britannic (2000) and Traitor (2008) movies. I have confirmed that the closed captions are working well with the audio.

In some cases, closed captioning issues may be related to your network's signal strength. Sometimes, even with fiber optics, fluctuations in speed or signal strength can cause delays. In this case, I suggest rebooting your router to refresh its system.

Keep me posted on how it goes!

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Stevelp
Binge Watcher

Hi @RokuCarly 

Thanks for your time and attention.   Let's just write this one off.   Happy watching.

Steve

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.