Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StevenCee
Roku Guru

Channel Menu "Lost" My Movie!

I was watching a movie on one of the "on demand" Roku channels, but wanted to move into another room, so turned off that TV, and turned on my computer, and opened the Roku site, assuming I'll just select it from the "Continue Watching" list of shows.

Well, guess what, it was nowhere to be found! I searched through all the ones on that list, on my saved channels list, etc., and it wasn't anywhere! Since I couldn't remember the name of the movie, and didn't know any of the actors. I was stuck. So I turned my TV back on, and the channel it had been on was now showing a documentary about the 30 year anniversary of a De Niro movie, on the Tribeca Channel. I don't know if the movie had been on that channel, but since it was one that started from the beginning, even though I turned it on into the time shown, I don't know why it wouldn't take me to the spot I was just at just ten minutes earlier?

In other words, at this point, there's very little hope I'll ever find and be able to watch the rest of this movie again! What kills me, is that in the row of titles of shows & movies to "continue watching" are some that I may have only had play a few minutes, or less, but this one I was right in the middle of, nowhere to be found!  WTF? Either show what I had been watching or not, but don't let us believe it will, if it won't, whenever it chooses not to...

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Channel Menu "Lost" My Movie!

Thanks for raising your concern here in the Roku Community, @StevenCee.

Firstly, please be aware that we can't access your Home screen, so there is no possibility that we can check that one for you. Furthermore, you can try to search for it and look for the title so we can check the availability of it on The Roku Channel. It may also be possible that the movie you are referring to is part of the Documentary that was played after you turned your TV back on. Have you tried to rewind the movie and maybe check if it is the same movie you are referring to? 

Let us know what you find out, and we'll go from there. 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@StevenCee 

As you have discovered, the "Continue Watching" does not necessarily keep track of everything you are watching on your Roku device.  The different channels/apps have to "opt-in" to the Continue Watching feature for Roku.  Many are included, but there are some that are not.

On certain channels/apps, you will have to re-enter that channel/app (either on the same device, or another device on the same account if you switch rooms) and access their own "continue watching/resume" feature from their menu, if available.  Not all channels/apps have a continue watching/resume feature.  Some you will just have to start watching from the beginning again.

I have had the same thing happen occasionally to me that you described.  I watch alot of Redbox content and they do not participate (currently) in the Continue Watching feature of Roku so I have to relaunch the movies from Redbox.  I think you have to sign-in to Redbox (My Library) to continue watching, and since I rarely sign-in to the free channels/apps, I just have to remember that it where i was watching.  I normally also press pause so I know where I have to FF to in order to continue watching if i switch viewing locations.

It is a bit irritating when you fall asleep or can't finish watching something and then can't remember what channel/app you were watching it on. (much less the title so you can search for it later).  Especially with the more obscure movies or channels/apps.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

StevenCee
Roku Guru

@RokuCarly If I knew the title of the movie, of course I could do a search for it, but that's why I know I will only find it again, by accident, if ever. And I don't know what you mean by "rewinding the movie", what movie, the one I can't find?  And it's definitely not part of the documentary that followed it, as it was about a different movie, there's no relation between the two.

But the far bigger problem is the mess with channel categories in the Guide and how the latest update has totally messed it up, making navigating through the channels a real nightmare. I noticed I've been updated from 12 to 12.5, yet this issue was not addressed at all..... great.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @StevenCee.

Thanks for the response.

The Continue Watching feature provided by Roku on the latest software version is not supported by all of the apps or channels on the Roku streaming platform. They may have their own feature inside their app, so we can't guarantee that it will appear on it. Moreover, we do regret to hear that you haven't been able to figure out which movie was that, but again, we don't have access to your account, so we can't figure it out on our end either and look for it. Our apologies.

Furthermore, regarding the channel guide issues you are referring to, could you please tell us more about it? We'd like to know more about how we can assist you with this or hear your feedback about it. 

We'll be looking forward to your response as we are more than happy to be of assistance. 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.