Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mert4649
Reel Rookie

Challenge to solve these symtoms

Roku Express connected to not-smart tv. Symptom: keys on remote have no effect on tv screen...tv screen is "frozen".

Action: replace remote batteries 

Result: no effect

Action: replace remote

Action: replace Roku stick

Action: replace HDMI cable

Action: reboot stick

Result: Home screen displays but still frozen

Action: use laptop on same tv HDMI port

Result: tv is fine; WiFi is fine

OK, experts....GO....

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: Challenge to solve these symtoms

Sounds like the remote is not paired to the stick??

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

What's the model number written on the device?  Note:  an Express is not a "stick" and it's important to make the distinction.  "Sticks" plug directly into a TV without the need of an HDMI cable and often require a special USB cable.  So since you mention an HDMI cable, it's probably safe to assume that you don't have a stick and don't require a special cable.

The next question is what kind of remote do you have?  Does it have TV controls (Power, volume, mute)?  Is there a microphone button on it?

Is it already connected to your network?  If so, have you tried using the mobile app as a remote?

Roku Mobile App - Free for iOS® or Android™ | Roku 

Start by giving us the model number.  There have been several "Express" models over the years and they're not all the same.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Mert4649
Reel Rookie

The model is 3930X.  The remote came with this device and has no mic or tv controls. This device has been successfully in operation on the same tv for all of 2023 so, yes it is connected to the Internet. No, I have not tried a mobile app as a remote.

0 Kudos
Mert4649
Reel Rookie

As someone pointed out, I dont have a "stick" and I dont recall in the years and different "devices" I have never "paired" a remote. I just use them out of the box. How does one pair it?

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Sorry, I saw "stick", so I thought it was a stick.  There is no pairing for IR remotes, which is what the 3930 came with.

For IR remotes, the only issue is usually a clear line of site between the remote, and the IR window on the front of the Express.  I assume there is one? The only other things that are coming to mind for interfering with IR remotes, is a room with too much sunlight, and another remote or IR blaster that is constantly transmitting – for example another remote slipping between cushions of the sofa so a button is held down is a classic cause of something like that. 

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.