Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Captions on Hulu out of sync and it's so bad I just don't care about watching TV anymore

I realize there is already a discussion here that is labelled solved but (a) it isn't solved for me; and (b) there is no way to respond to a "solved" discussion thread, at least I can't figure one out.

Years ago, I had problems with using Hulu ad-supported plans on Roku - the commercials were never well integrated with the show, resulting in the app freezing after 2 or 3 ads, kicking me back to the beginning of the show, or, as still happens, starting captions before the show begins (i.e., I see captions for the show while the commercials are running). So, rather than pirate, I paid for commercial free Hulu and that worked fine. 

I said it was years ago. Cannot believe this is still a problem, especially since most streamers (Hulu, Netflix, etc.) are strongly encouraging us to avoid the commercial-free options by dramatically raising the prices while offering cheap deals on the ad-supported plans. But no one really wants us to watch these shows, or they would fix these basic problems. It is so frustrating to know that this was a problem five years ago or more and yet no interest in solving it. So I'm done with TV. The new Golden Age is over anyway and while I really like stuff like Only Murders and What We Do in the Shadows, the annoyances of just trying to watch TV (which used to be simple) has made me lose interest even in these shows. 

In short, I think both Roku and Hulu's technical carelessness is penny-wise and pound foolish. I can't be the only one who simply wants to be entertained and doesn't want to battle with technology for content I pay for. So I'm done with TV shows. I don't even feel like bothering to pirate, let alone pay you hacks for content. So I'm back to novels for entertainment. Good work, guys - you built a lot of interest in this stuff and just threw away all your goodwill for nothing.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Captions on Hulu out of sync and it's so bad I just don't care about watching TV anymore

Welcome, and thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @Longtimeuser1!

Thank you for sharing this with us. Rest assured that we will look closely at the closed captions on Hulu for review. 

Before proceeding, could you please confirm if this is happening inside the standalone Hulu app or via The Roku Channel? It would also be great if you could provide us with a short video clip of it happening for reference. To send the video, you may download it on Google Drive and share the link to it. 

We'll be looking forward to your response.

Warm regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.