Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SteveGuard148
Channel Surfer

Can't view channel after password change

Jump to solution

Hi, I subscribe to This Old House (TOH) channel through my Roku Express. Recently I had to change my TOH password when trying to view the channel on my laptop. Now when I try to view on Roku I just get the TOH splash screen and nothing else happens. I'm guessing that it no longer recognizes the password but there does not seem to be an option to update the password. I would have expected a message to come up asking me to login again but nothing happens. I've tried removing and re-adding the channel and I've tried a factory reset of my Roku Express but nothing has worked. Any ideas please?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can't view channel after password change

Jump to solution

I'm just grasping at straws here, but I'd suggest trying an alternate network like at a friends house or your phone's hotspot.  Since you've already factory reset it, you may as well do it again, but this time create a new Roku account and link it to that.  Hopefully you have another email address you can use for the new account.  When you create the new account, make sure you either clear your browser cookies or use a private or incognito browser window when you do.

I realize that neither of these is a solution, but if one or the other works it may lead to one.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @SteveGuard148,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!

Getting help from our account billing team may be more effective for these issues. Please contact them directly through our Account-Billing Support page. Choose the options for "Account, payments & subscriptions," and they are the best ones to help you out with that matter.

If you need any additional help, we'll follow up to continue assisting you.

Best regards,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@SteveGuard148-

I don't have a known solution for you, but here's what I would try if faced with this problem.

Log into your TOH account using your laptop.  Change your password back to what it was before.

Load TOH back up on your Roku - hopefully it will load and log you in as before.  If it does, while viewing on the Roku, see if you can find a way to change your password.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I’m guessing he doesn’t know his old password.  I think when you use Roku pay, you get a random password created on a Roku server.  (I think???)

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
SteveGuard148
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi Chel

Thanks for your reply. I have been in touch with the account billing team as suggested but after trying various things - removing/reinstalling the channel; clearing cookies; device restart; factory reset - the problem is not resolved. They suggested that it could be a channel software issue and said to contact This Old House support. So I'll wait to see what response I get from them.

regards

Steve

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

If nothing else works, I would cancel with Roku, wait a bit to make sure it is truly cancelled, and subscribe directly with TOH.  Essentially, I think that by logging into TOH and doing a password reset/forgot, you’ve essentially broken the Roku link to your account, and since you have a working account with TOH (only) now, you could just fund that account directly, and log in with these current credentials on the Roku.

I did a similar thing with a different channel:  I had subscribed on Roku, but decided I wanted to subscribe directly.  So I: cancelled on Roku.  Waited until well past the end, and past the next billing cycle to make sure I wasn’t going to be billed. Then I “forgot password” with the content provider and set up my payment info there.  Of course, I did things in a different order, and I’m not sure all these back-end interactions with Roku and various content providers all work the same way.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
SteveGuard148
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi Strega2

Thanks for the reply. I had thought about doing that if all else fails. Luckily I have a monthly subscription and the current period expires at the end of the month.

regards

Steve

0 Kudos
SteveGuard148
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hello again, I still have my problem. I contacted This Old House (TOH) support but they were next to useless as all they could do was to tell me how to change my password - which I already knew and was at the heart of my problem.

I have now let my subscription lapse in the hope that this would solve the problem but it hasn't made any difference... I received and email from TOH inviting me to reactivate my subscription but when I try it doesn't work because I'm not in the US or Canada - I'm in the UK.

On my Roku Express I have done (another) factory reset and added the TOH channel but the same thing happens in that when I play the channel I just get the launch screen and nothing else happens. I've looked at the Roku support help but that just says go to the channel and select the subscribe button but I can't get to that point...

Any more ideas/suggestions please?

Thanks

Steve

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

I'm just grasping at straws here, but I'd suggest trying an alternate network like at a friends house or your phone's hotspot.  Since you've already factory reset it, you may as well do it again, but this time create a new Roku account and link it to that.  Hopefully you have another email address you can use for the new account.  When you create the new account, make sure you either clear your browser cookies or use a private or incognito browser window when you do.

I realize that neither of these is a solution, but if one or the other works it may lead to one.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
SteveGuard148
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks for the suggestion. I have created an new Roku account with a different email address, done (another) factory reset and used the new email address to login. I was then able to add the This Old House channel and when it launched it took me to the screen where I could subscribe again. It's now working perfectly again. Once again many thanks for your help.

Steve

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.