Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
happymom123
Channel Surfer

Byutv app no longer works

I have read some of the recent issues regards to a channel that no longer works. Every recommendation to fix the issue I have done and has failed. After corresponding with Byutv back and forth and providing the information with them, here is their recent reply. I don’t understand what their asking or even where to locate the information:

It looks like those numbers aren't connected to our app.  Our current version is 5.59.  Roku reports the version as 5.19.  Can you find those numbers anywhere?

21 REPLIES 21
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Byutv app no longer works

They're probably referring to the version number of the channel/app.  Highlight the icon on the Home Screen and press * on your Roku remote.  You should see the version number displayed in the popup.  I just added it and it looks like it was just updated a few days ago judging by the build.  Mine shows:  Version 5.59 build 20230808

If yours doesn't show version 5.59, try a "Software update" located under Settings->System.  It would also help to know the model number of your Roku device displayed under Settings->System->About.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
cparkr80
Reel Rookie

Mine is having the same issue. Even after the software update, the version still shows as 5.12. I've restarted the device, uninstalled and reinstalled the channel, but nothing seems to fix the issue of not updating

renojim

@cparkr80, since @happymom123 never answered, what is the model number of your Roku device displayed under Settings->System->About?

cparkr80
Reel Rookie

Model 3500X

Software version 11.0.0 build 4195-09

I also did a system software check and it said it was up to date

happymom123
Channel Surfer

Please accept my apologies for the late reply. Model #3930X

renojim

@cparkr80, sorry, but your situation is hopeless.  The 3500 is no longer supported and will no longer receive updates.  If BYUTV says you need a newer version you'll never get it.  All you can do is purchase a new Roku device.  Check your offers for a deal.

https://my.roku.com/offers
https://my.roku.com/upgrade/

@happymom123, your device is still supported, so let's check a few things.  What's the software version displayed under Settings->System->About and what's the version displayed when you highlight the BYUTV channel/app on your Home Screen and press * on your Roku remote?

0 Kudos
cparkr80
Reel Rookie

Ok thank you for letting me know

0 Kudos
happymom123
Channel Surfer

I am getting a bit confused with regards to my situation when it comes with trying to get the Byutv app to work again. Now I am being told that my device is no longer supported by Roku and that I need to upgrade to a new device. Another tells me that it is still supported. 
Which one of these responses are correct?

0 Kudos
renojim

@happymom123, I never said your device wasn't supported anymore.  The 3930 is still receiving updates.  The 3500 that cparkr80 has is not.  Do you have more than one Roku device or is the 3930 the only one you're speaking of?  Did you ever try the update I suggested in my first response?

Please answer questions when I ask them if you really want help.  What is the software version that's displayed under Settings->System->About and what is the version of the BYUTV channel/app that's displayed when you highlight the BYUTV icon on your Home Screen and press the * button on your Roku remote?

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.