Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gbvkits

Brit Box for Roku vs Brit Box

Jump to solution

How is Brit Box for Roku different from Brit Box? I have three TVs with Roku and I paid for Brit Box for Roku.

I have another tv with a fire stick and I cannot get Brit Box without an additional charge.  What advantage is Brit a box for Roku?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: Brit Box for Roku vs Brit Box

Jump to solution

They are the same. The difference is the "for Roku" means you are paying through Roku instead of directly to BritBox. As you noticed, that can sometimes make it difficult or impossible to use a non-Roku device. The only advantage is you don't need to manually log in on Roku devices. Another drawback is that you may not be able to delete the app or even log out until the subscription ends, and sometimes deleting/reinstalling an app can fix issues.

As I keep saying: NEVER subscribe through a 3rd party. ALWAYS subscribe DIRECTLY to a service at their WEB SITE, not an app, not a device.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

They are the same. The difference is the "for Roku" means you are paying through Roku instead of directly to BritBox. As you noticed, that can sometimes make it difficult or impossible to use a non-Roku device. The only advantage is you don't need to manually log in on Roku devices. Another drawback is that you may not be able to delete the app or even log out until the subscription ends, and sometimes deleting/reinstalling an app can fix issues.

As I keep saying: NEVER subscribe through a 3rd party. ALWAYS subscribe DIRECTLY to a service at their WEB SITE, not an app, not a device.

aladd6

Jump to solution

Seems the  available content is different also , there are episodes/seasons not available via Brit box on Roku but are available via stand alone Brit box. Example is The Tower, Season 3 not available on Brit box Roku. Why is this? Would not have expected this!

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Let's clarify something. BritBox is BritBox. There is no "BritBox on Roku". The only difference is the way one might subscribe to it. If you want to use it on multiple platforms (such as a Roku, Fire TV or Apple TV), then you must subscribe directly with BritBox. If one subscribes through Roku, then BritBox is only available on Roku devices linked to that user account. If BritBox alters the content available based on the subscription, one would need to take that up with BritBox. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

It's hard to tell if it's truly a difference or not. I'm not sure quite how "xxx on the Roku Channel" works, but it sounds like their catalog is somehow added to a Roku Channel database. It's possible some shows may not have been copied to the Roku catalog, or may have contract limitations with a streaming service that prevents them from being used outside of the true streaming service app.

0 Kudos
Bev37
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I subscribe to Brit Box for Roku but can not sign into Brit Box using my password and wonder why that is.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Bev37 When you say "BritBox for Roku" do you mean through The Roku Channel, and/or you subscribe through Roku? I believe the only way to use the BritBox app itself is with a subscription directly with BritBox. My sister-in-law subscribes that way and she uses the BritBox channel on her Roku without a problem.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Bev37
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes I subscribed through Roku to watch Brit Box. Did not know it was better to just subscribe through Brit Box. Thank you for your answer. I got my question answered on a Facebook Group about this. Will have to cancel my subscription on Roku and go through Brit Box to watch the new shows there.