Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ponytaft
Channel Surfer

Brand new Roku 4k ultra with access and playback issues

The Roku 4k ultra I purchased through someone other than Roku is 40 days old has been glitchy from the start…no home screen appears until I click Netflix button and then back out. At first this was the only issue but then other issues appeared at day 31: When I hit replay System freezes video but not audio. When playing any video I only receive audio but no video in all channels. My other Roku ultra works seamlessly never had these issues. This is wireless set up and I have disconnected and rebooted 2 times to have same issues and more seem to happen with each reboot. I’ve created and sent 3 emails to Roku and received one email that said someone would get back to me, this was a week ago and still not heard back. I know the devise is under warranty for 1 year and I must have customer support attention to return this obviously defected device. Please advise asap

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Baldilocks

Re: Brand new Roku 4k ultra with access and playback issues

Mine will shut down and than restart, losing all information, over and over again

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Ponytaft @Baldilocks,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We're happy to help you with your streaming problem. We'd like to know more about the issue that you ran into. Please provide us with more details.

• How are you powering your device?
  • Are you getting error messages or error codes while trying to play content?
  • How far is your device from your network router?
  • Do you have cellular data, so we can try connecting your device to your hotspot?

With detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.
Best regards,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Ponytaft
Channel Surfer

Device is powered by an electric wall plug
Network router is 12 inches away
No error codes
i have cellular data 
The Home Screen has never appeared at turn on until I hit one of the remote channel buttons..I always use Netflix. Then I back out and Home Screen appears

After my first back to manufacture reboot it seemed to work ok for a day or so; but always and still no Home Screen appears till I hit a remote button channel.
After a day it started acting up again…for a day it would freeze up when I hit replay….Now when I choose a video to play i get audio and no video.
Used Roku for 10 years and never had problems like this. I have had several Roku Ultra and currently have a Roku ultra in my front room that works great. Please advise how to return this devise as it’s still under warranty.

Thank you
0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Ponytaft,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!

We understand that your Roku Ultra is having playback issues. If you don't mind us asking, where and when did you purchase your Roku streaming device? In addition, where did you notice this issue first occurred?

With more detailed information, we'll be able to assist better.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@Ponytaft wrote:

...still no Home Screen appears till I hit a remote button channel.

A "Power" item has been added in the "Settings > System" menu for some of the newer Roku device models. At this writing they are Streaming Stick 4K/4K+ (3820/3821), Express 4K/4K+ (3940/3941), Roku 4 (4400), and Ultra/Ultra LT (4800/4801). You can check your model and model number via Roku menu path Settings/System/About.

If you have one of these models, the new "Auto power savings" item in the Power menu will put your Roku device into a low power standby condition after a 20 minute period of inactivity (i.e nothing has been streaming and no user interaction has been received). In this low power state neither its connection to your home network nor its HDMI connection to your TV are active. If your TV was off and you turn it back on while the Roku is in this state, this often leads to a "no connection" error display on the TV, and on some TVs can lead to HDCP copy protection errors and other connection problems when the HDMI connection is reestablished.

Pressing a Roku control key (like the Home button) on your Roku remote (not Power, Volume, or Mute buttons, if your remote has them, as they act on the TV, not the Roku) should bring the Roku out of standby and back to full operation. Pulling the power for a few seconds to restart the Roku will restore full operation as well.

If you disable "Settings > System > Power > Auto power savings > After 20 minutes of no interaction" it should prevent your Roku from going into standby in the first place. The power savings are very small and for the hassle it causes many users, I don't think it's worth having this feature activated.

For further details, see this Roku information page: https://support.roku.com/article/6306527767575

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Ponytaft
Channel Surfer

Home Screen not appearing was right away…but all else was good until the 31st day. Then audio and no video and the video would freeze but not audio when it did play after I did the factory reset. I actually installed my 2 yr old Roku ultra from family room in bedroom where the new one is acting out and it’s just fine so it’s definitely this devise. I want a replacement as it’s still under warranty.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Warranty claim instructions: https://support.roku.com/article/208757058

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Ponytaft
Channel Surfer

Roku is obviously not helping their clientele with product issues. My new Roku is malfunctioning and it is not Roku owners issue or responsibility. It is Roku responsibility to support end users with user issues. If product is malfunctioning within warranty period it is ethically correct to offer full support by sending RMA number to mail back malfunctioning devises so Roku can inspect/conduct testing to assure or not assure product stability. After a quick review of Roku responses it’s clear you are using shady word tactics over and over again to avoid standing behind behind your product warranty. Your warranty instructions state the end user needs a RMA number to return the defective product. With no way to mail back your malfunctioning devise unless we have an RMA number we are stuck with an inferior product. You should be ashamed of yourselves conducting shady business tactics to avoid warranty guarantee. I know I am speaking for the multiple people with recent complaints about new devises to challenge Roku to stand behind their products and support warranty claims with these malfunctioning products. 

0 Kudos