Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shai_Hulud
Reel Rookie

Black screen flash when browsing several apps.

Jump to solution

On my streaming stick 4k When I am browsing several apps ranging from Prime Video to Peacock and more there is a consistent issue wherein I will move the cursor over with the arrow button on the remote and the screen will go black for several seconds then come back only to do it again when I go to the next one or it may last a few clicks over but it will happen again no matter what. It makes browsing these random apps nearly unbearable. 

I have tried updating the roku, checking for app updates and everything and there seems to be no fix for this. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Black screen flash when browsing several apps.

Jump to solution

@Shai_Hulud-

It doesn't seem to me that merely moving from one channel tile to the next should trigger this, but see if this helps any, as it's the only thing I can think of that triggers a black screen of short duration:

Under "Settings > System > Advanced system Settings > Advanced display settings" does your Roku have an "Auto-adjust display refresh rate" item? If so, try disabling it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@Shai_Hulud-

It doesn't seem to me that merely moving from one channel tile to the next should trigger this, but see if this helps any, as it's the only thing I can think of that triggers a black screen of short duration:

Under "Settings > System > Advanced system Settings > Advanced display settings" does your Roku have an "Auto-adjust display refresh rate" item? If so, try disabling it.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Shai_Hulud
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This seems to have fixed the issue immediately actually. Thank you so much. Yes I always found it strange how it varied from app to app if it happened but I just went to the apps with issues and it seems to be fully solved. 

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

I'm glad it helped, but I don't really understand why it did.   Were you actually going in and out of the various apps instead of just floating over their tiles in the channel grid without actually loading them?

Here's a fuller explanation of the what "Auto-adjust display frame rate" does.

If this is enabled, the Roku circuitry sends the signal output at the refresh rate used by the original source material, commonly 24 fps (frames per second), 25 fps, 30 fps, 50 fps, or 60 fps. Every time the source refresh rate changes, the TV must adjust its display to accommodate the new rate, which on many sets results in a short blackout or other display disruption that some find objectionable.

This can happen when starting/stopping new programs, when going in/out/between commercials, or wherever the refresh rate changes.

If "Auto-adjust display refresh rate" is set OFF, the Roku converts and sends everything at 60 fps so the TV doesn't have to adjust on the fly and you don't get those frame rate transition disruptions.

The tradeoff here is that, non-60 fps sources may not appear as smooth without a Roku refresh rate adjustment, depending on whether your Roku or your TV does a better job of refresh rate conversion. You have to decide whether this change is worth it to you.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.