Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Apple TV suddenly started crashing on my Roku 3

Jump to solution

I don't use Apple TV myself, so I have no inside knowledge about it. As far as older versions of the channel, that would also be under the control of Apple, not Roku. Roku themselves cannot offer a different version of the channel. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
AaronLafcadio
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Not sure it’s NOT Roku as

1. My AppleTv+ works iPhone

2. Used to work on Roku3

3. All other streaming channels work as they did

Bottom line is AppleTv and Roku not playing very nicely in sandbox and super easy for platform blame app OR vice-versa

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

1. Doesn't matter if it works right on a different platform. Completely different programming language.

2. Developers often break an app with a new release. Roku included. 

3. Since all other channels work fine, that points the finger even harder at the Apple+ developers.

I completely understand your frustration. But Roku only provides the platform, and has no control over what Apple (or any other channel developer) does with their app. If it was something that changed in the Roku OS, then the channel developers are supposed to ensure their channel works with a new version, not Roku.

Dan

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

If you are unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
namgaw
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R 

Model 4230X - Roku 3

s/n: 63261K010333

software version: 10.5.0 Build 4174-04

Apple TV+

tracker id:33-408-713

Apple channel: version 8.0 Build 119

I hope this helps. I followed up with tech support at Apple, and they once again claimed no responsibility.

0 Kudos
AaronLafcadio
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R 

Here is requested info 
Model 4230X - Roku 3

s/n: 4E7562037904

software version: 10.5.0 Build 4174-04

Apple TV+

Tracker ID: 04-408-752

0 Kudos
AaronLafcadio
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@atc98092— Thanks- everything you say makes sense from a technical perspective.

my thinking was very uptight -lotta strands in ole duders head.

I will say from a branding perspective, Roku “looks bad” even though looks Apple app on Roku platform is  foo-bar

@RokuDanny-R 

0 Kudos
MSully56
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Here is my info Danny... thanks for looking into this...

Model: Roku 3 - 4200X

Sn: 4124D8016848

Software: 10.5.0 - build 4174-04

Don't see a device ID?

Apple TV Ver 8.0 - build 119

Report tracker ID 48-409-104

0 Kudos
MSully56
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

By the way, here is a work around to watch Apple TV on your big TV using your laptop.

I have Windows 10 on a fairly new laptop - not sure if earlier versions of Windows can do this, but I think it has been available since Windows 7 - maybe Vista.  Pretty sure the Apple OS can do this too.  

First, sign into your Apple account on your laptop, and navigate to watch Apple TV.

On your TV, select your Roku as the input - just leave it on the home screen.

On your laptop (remember, this is for Windows 10 - your OS may have a different path to this feature), go to Settings > System > Display > scroll down to Multiple Displays, and select "Connect to a wireless display".  In the pane that opens on the right, you will see available devices you can connect to.  If you don't see your Roku device, click on search.  This works via Wi-Fi, NOT Bluetooth, so you don't need to turn that on.  When you click on the Roku device, you should see your computer connect to your TV, and play whatever is playing on your laptop.  And this works for anything you might watch on your computer - your own video library, YouTube, whatever!

MS

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@MSully56 I do believe this is Windows 10 specific. While older versions had some functionality, I believe Win 10 was when it just finally seemed to work well. Also, in my experience it's only worked with a laptop. None of my Windows desktop computers will screen mirror to a wireless device. I believe that's because my desktop computers don't have WiFi, which appears to be a requirement of Miracast. But for myself, screen mirroring my laptop has always worked fine the times I've tried it. 

Dan

0 Kudos