Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EmmyS1972
Reel Rookie

Amazon Prime TV app quitting since yesterday

Jump to solution

I have a TCL Roku TV that I've been using the Prime TV app on for 5 years with no problems. All of a sudden, yesterday the app started kicking me out back to the Roku home screen every time I start a show or movie - no warning.

I've tried removing the channel from the home screen and re-adding in case there was an update, but that didn't fix it. All of my other channels (Hulu, Disney+, HBOMax, etc.) work fine. 

Any ideas? Who is supposed to provide support for the app, Roku or Amazon?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Re: Amazon Prime TV app quitting since yesterday

Jump to solution

Hello @EmmyS1972

We appreciate your contact!

In some cases, removing the channel and then re-installing it may help. To ensure the process is successful, follow the steps below making sure you restart your Roku device before adding the channel again.

-Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press the Star button to open the options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
-Restart your Roku device: Restart the device from the settings menu. Go to Settings > System > System restart > Restart.
-Re-install the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

Let us know if this works for you!

Regards,
Karla

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @EmmyS1972

We appreciate your contact!

In some cases, removing the channel and then re-installing it may help. To ensure the process is successful, follow the steps below making sure you restart your Roku device before adding the channel again.

-Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press the Star button to open the options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
-Restart your Roku device: Restart the device from the settings menu. Go to Settings > System > System restart > Restart.
-Re-install the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

Let us know if this works for you!

Regards,
Karla

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@EmmyS1972-

After removing a channel, best practice is to restart** your Roku to clear its memory cache before reinstalling the channel. Without the restart you may not get a clean reinstall.

Depending on your Roku model and Roku version number you'll find the System restart option under either Settings > System > Power or under Settings > System. If you don't have sufficient control to use the menus, or if it is just more convenient, you can also restart by pulling the power plug for a short while, then plugging it back in.

**On a Roku TV with "Fast Start" enabled, turning the TV off/on only puts you in/out of a low power standby state, it does NOT give you a complete restart. Use the methods above.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
EmmyS1972
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you! I hadn't tried restarting the TV between removing the app and adding again. That appears to have worked.

0 Kudos
SCFowler

Jump to solution

Having the same issue. Also just started in the last day or 2. This occasionally happens but after the one time it would work fine and won’t do it again for maybe months. Recently however, I’ll start a show and a minute or 2 in and it crashes to the home screen. Tried again tonight, got a few minutes in with no crash, had to pause, resume and BAM! crash. Again and again, over and over, every time after maybe 30 seconds. 

0 Kudos
WesNeuetc

Jump to solution

Thanks!

Similar issue - TCL Roku TV, a few years old.  Amazon Prime suddenly broken - reverts to home screen after a short period of viewing. 

Followed the 'uninstall Prime; restart TV; reinstall Prime' and everything seems to be working fine again.

-Wes

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.