Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MichTab
Reel Rookie

All channels disappeared from Roku Express device

My Roku worked perfectly up until last night. Today when I turn on my TV and Roku device, all of the channels I had on my Roku (Netflix, YouTube, etc) have disappeared. To make matters worse, I am also unable to add them back again, as no channels even appear in the Channel store.

I have searched all online topics and cannot find any support for this issue.

Help!

24 REPLIES 24
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Re: All channels disappeared from Roku Express device

So your just looking at a blank Home Screen? Exactly what do you see? Can you post a picture?

0 Kudos
MichTab
Reel Rookie

I can post a photo tomorrow, but for now what I can tell you is that the only icons I can see on the Home screen are the "Add Channel" icon and the "TV Off" icon. Previously, on this Home screen was where all my channels appeared, now they are gone. If I click on the "Add Channel" icon, it takes me to the Channel Store, but no channels load - it kind of looks as if it's buffering to load, but it never does.

However, if I log into my Roku account on their website, I can see that all my channels are still installed on my Roku Express device.

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@MichTab 

Seems like you may have had an internal memory failure or other device hardware failure.

Verify your device is plugged into the power adapter into the wall. (alternatively, use another power adapter like a cell phone charger USB adapter), perform a System Restart, and then do a manual system update (Settings..System..System Update).

Additionally to the above, restart your modem/router.

From Settings/System/About what is your OS and build number.  

-----

Hesitate to recommend a Factory Reset at this point as will probably get stuck in boot mode if having a flash memory failure.  See if any of the above helps you first and how old is the device?

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Streamer317
Roku Guru

@MichTab  Which Roku model do you have? How long ago did you purchase it? 

0 Kudos
MichTab
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the advice.

Tried a manual system update - did not work.

Resorted to a factory reset, and the device even seems unable to send the necessary email to my registered email address, during the setup process.

So I think that the device is fried 😏

Just remembered that we had an electrical storm here the night it stopped working. Perhaps that could have damaged it? The Roku does not have its own power supply, but gets its power from the TV. But perhaps it is still vulnerable to a power surge?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@MichTab 

Many times the USB power ports on TVs  are underpowered and can cause Roku devices to act weird and even fail prematurely.  Even though you can plug it into the TV, really recommended to plug into the wall with a power adapter.

Try using a power adapter and do the factory reset again. (You can even use a cell phone USB power adapter. Anything  5v 1 amp).

If using wall power doesn't work for you, replacement is probably needed.  If under a year, try submitting a warranty repplacement. (https://support.roku.com/article/208757058)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

I purchased my Roku Ultra 2022 on June 3rd.

(Note the date I'm replying. 🤨)

Woke up this morning with no apps on the Home Screen. 

Read over the suggestions on here. Applied the one to reboot modem,wifi first.

I also unplugged the t.v and the Roku device.

Waited 15 minutes and plugged everything in and held my breath.

It restored all the apps back to the Home Screen....for now. The device isn't even a month old so it's VERY CONCERNING if something internal is already acting up. Saved this thread so I know who to contact if it happens again. Thanks.

Boz
Roku Guru

@MichTab wrote:

The Roku does not have its own power supply, but gets its power from the TV. But perhaps it is still vulnerable to a power surge?

You seem to have missed this part of AvsGunnar's reply, as I don't think you've acknowledged it one way or the other.

@AvsGunnar wrote:

@MichTab 

Verify your device is plugged into the power adapter into the wall.

0 Kudos
kmvelez
Reel Rookie

All my apps disappeared too what is going on roku and I can’t even re download them