Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sparkout
Channel Surfer

4k stick always needs fast forwarding to catch up to live broadcasts when turn on

Jump to solution

I have a new Roku 4k stick, set to display for 720, it's plugged into the USB adaptor and every time I turn the TV on I have to fast-forward 5 to 15 mins to catch up to the live broadcast. I am not recording or playing back anything. very annoying HELP!!   The TV is only 720 not 4K

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: 4k stick always needs fast forwarding to catch up to live broadcasts when turn on

Jump to solution

That sounds like a "feature" of the Sling app which Roku wouldn't have anything to do with.  You might want to try to contact Sling's support.  The Roku box is only displaying what Sling is giving it since it has no way to record anything or really any way to know that you're watching Sling on two different boxes.  Sling would probably know, but not Roku.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
renojim

Re: 4k stick always needs fast forwarding to catch up to live broadcasts when turn on

Jump to solution

Roku devices can't record, so something else is going on.  Are you using a particular app on the stick or do you have a cable box with a DVR attached to the TV?  By "live broadcast", are you referring to an antenna channel?

0 Kudos
sparkout
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

When I leave a Fox News show (via Sling tv)with Roku 4k stick (not an Antenna) in the living room and go to the bedroom to continue the same Fox News (via Sling tv) show on a different tv with Roku 4k stick stick,  I notice it is repeating what I saw 10 minutes ago. Then I have to push the >> button on the remote to fast forward to where I just left off watching it in the other room.

For some reason turning the TV on in the bedroom selecting Roku then Sling tv then selecting Foxnews channel, it begins 10 mins behind every time.  aggravating for sure.  sometimes it's 13 mins, sometimes it's 5 mins.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @sparkout,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!

We will be more than happy to assist you further with this issue that you're experiencing with the Fox News channel. Please try to restart your Roku by going to settings, system, power,and system restart. Let's try to see if that will be able to fix the issue that you're seeing.

Let us know how it works.

Kind regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
sparkout
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

To answer your previous question, I have no cable box, no DVR except Tablo and that is not set to record.

I did the system restart as you requested

I tried it twice in 24 hrs and things were fine until this a.m.  

I started sling TV and right away it was 5 minutes behind what was broadcasting in another room (used to compare it too) I pushed the >> button and had to fast forward to catch up. 

This seems like this always recording so you can stop it, go to the refrigerator for a snack return, push play and you don't miss anything, or fast-forward past the commercials. I suppose some people like this but I don't like walking into another room, turning that system on and it being 10 mins behind.  what is going on?

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

That sounds like a "feature" of the Sling app which Roku wouldn't have anything to do with.  You might want to try to contact Sling's support.  The Roku box is only displaying what Sling is giving it since it has no way to record anything or really any way to know that you're watching Sling on two different boxes.  Sling would probably know, but not Roku.

sparkout
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Ok Thanks, that sounds reasonable

0 Kudos
sparkout
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Ok that sounds reasonable, I will contact sling

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.