Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roblove
Channel Surfer

Re: YouTube TV takes 8 seconds to change channels

Additionally, I removed YouTube TV app from Roku/ installed again/ checked for updates with same results of 7- 8 sec. lag when changing live TV channels

0 Kudos
Chrisc151
Channel Surfer

The odd part for me is that while it takes that long when changing channels or starting something from the DVR/On-demand, when you fast forward 5+ minutes, it will pick back up within about 2 seconds, which seems acceptable.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@roblove

Thanks for the post.

When removing a channel, it's important that you restart the Roku device before adding the channel back again, specifically in that order.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
roblove
Channel Surfer

@RokuDanny-R 

Thanks, but that isn’t pertinent to my issue. When I access YouTube Tv app thru Roku & I change channels within Live TV, there is a 6-8 sec. lag before the channel selected comes on the screen (black screen between channel selection).

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@roblove 

It might be pertinent. If the problem is caused by bad data in the app, or a bad install of the app, you must fully remove it before adding it back. If you don't do the steps in that order, you haven't removed it. You have to 1) remove, then 2) reboot, then 3) reinstall. Any other order, or if you skip the reboot there, it's wrong. Rebooting before, or rebooting after, won't cut it. It must be step 2.

Now, that still might not resolve it, but it's a process that should be tried correctly.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
roblove
Channel Surfer

@DBDukes,

Thanks for clarifying steps for removing/ rebooting/ re-installing YouTube TV app (it was removing "channel" part in prior suggestion that didn't seem pertinent).

Instructions have been followed as outlined, but same results. I also have a case # in w/ Google yesterday, but no response to date.

I really prefer Roku Express 4k+, but reluctantly may need to go Chromecast w/ Google TV route if issue can't be resolved for YouTube TV (which I prefer for TV streaming).

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@roblove 

Other than a factory reset of the device, I don't see what else can be done. However, @RokuDanny-R might have some ideas, or be able to refer to tech support to help with that. He can see that you did the remove/reboot/reinstall process, and can rule that troubleshooting step as completed.

As an aside, if you do go with the Chromecast with Google TV, keep in mind that, unlike Roku, if it runs out of app space, you have to actually remove apps before new ones can be added. I've run into this. Since you've been using Roku, you may not be aware that when app space is low, Roku will actually remove older (longest since used) apps from the device so you can launch other ones. It's all done in the background and is only noticeable if you are looking for it (there will be a progress bar that goes from 0 to 100 pretty quickly). The app is still on your menu, it just isn't physically located on your device.

Chromecast doesn't do it that way. It makes you actually remove an app yourself, which I find to be a PITA.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
roblove
Channel Surfer

@DBDukes,  I appreciate you sharing your experiences.

@RokuDanny-R,  Apologies for misunderstanding your trouble-shooting recommendation.  I got confused w/ nomenclature. I was locked-in on removing "tv" channels, not "streaming" channels.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm experiencing the same issue with my 2020 roku ultra!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Anonymous

Thanks for the post.

Is Youtube TV the only channel that you are experiencing this issue with?

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing? Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos