Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BrandonHaag
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku no longer supporting VidAngel

Jump to solution

According to VidAngel, they submitted their app for approval multiple times, most recently in fall of 2021. I would say that Roku has singled them out for rejection when not approving their app...  I definitely want to understand why Roku has rejected an app approved by Apple and Amazon for use on their devices.

Brandon.

I had never heard of VidAngel prior to this issue. It sounds like they are offering a useful and legal product. I have no idea why Roku will not certify a channel for it. I fully support the end user being able to control the content they see. From the information you have all provided, I can't see a reason for the denial. I hope for all of your sakes they come to an understanding and offer a certified channel.

But again as a reminder, Roku is not singling out VidAngel. They are removing support for all non-certified channels. This is affecting a large number of channels that provide a wide variety on content. The reason for them to removing the support is valid. I hope Roku comes to an agreement with VidAngel and offer a certified channel.

BrandonHaag
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@AngryAnchovy wrote:

It would certainly be interesting to know just how many of us Roku customers are out there...If you think about the amount of extra work and know-how it takes to jump through the hoopes of side-loading a channel onto a Roku account, it should demonstrate how loyal of a group we are to having VidAngel available on our Rokus...I would hope this might be a good indicator to Roku about just how important we view VidAngel.

I mean it when I say I'll be pulling all of my Roku devices when VidAngel support is removed from my Roku devices...Once that lever is pulled, there's no coming back because it's a substantial investment on my end swapping out devices not to mention the time involved.

Roku!!!
PLEASE DON'T DO THIS!!!

Well, I just received this from VidAngel support on their Facebook channel. Might help ease the pain for those VidAngel users who have only a single Roku device.

Hi Brandon! Thank you for your support and concern! We really appreciate you! I'd like to have you try using VidAngel with a Fire TV in the meantime. I am happy to add a $30 credit if you'd like to try that! If you purchase a Fire TV device (TV, cube, stick, etc.) and send a picture of the receipt, then I will gladly add a $30 VidAngel credit to your account that will be used towards your subscription renewal. Here are some devices to help you out: * Fire TV stick * Fire TV stick 4K *

Bhedr

Re: Roku is disallowing Vidangel!?

Jump to solution

I have all Roku devices as well as stream bar and speakers. I have two Roku TVs. What in the world? Why are they not responding to VidAngel. What can I do? This is so frustrating.

HerrimanCoder
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Bhedr:

To me, the best hope is to get large numbers of Roku users to challenge this decision and urge Roku to allow Vidangel to become a certified channel. (Why they're not allowing this is a mystery to everyone.) Two specific ways you can do this:

• Post on social media, send out emails and text. In short, get the word out.
  • Contact Vidangel support and ask them to email their entire user base to come upvote my post and show their support for keeping Vidangel alive on Roku. I have already done this and Vidangel sort of dodged my request. Seems like they're not fighting enough, and need to hear from more of us.

If Roku hears from thousands of people that they want Vidangel to stay alive in the Roku ecosystem, maybe that will influence them.

Kreigar
Reel Rookie

Why won't Roku allow Vidangel to be a certified channel?

Jump to solution

I'm asking specifically why Roku is blocking Vidangel from certification.  There are other topics discussing Vidangel disappearing, but no one is answering this question.  In fact, no one at all from Roku is answering  or even commenting on any of these questions.

Can someone from Roku answer or comment, please?  A community that isn't listened to is simply a gimmick.  It's beginning to look like Roku genuinely does not care about this community.

Wraith1000
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

The more I read this thread, the more angry I become. I think at this point I've already decided to just replace my two Roku devices with something else....  leaning toward Apple TV because we already have one which is great and it integrates with iOS wonderfully.  I also have a Roku TV but I'll just disable the Roku part.

I know that Roku recently added AirPlay, but I don't like how you have to purchase a separate micro SD when you run out of space (their apps have become bloated), and the remote creates its own Wi-Fi network to communicate causing interference with my home network. The 2.4 GHz band is already congested as is. I don't think my current units are 4K either.

I don't feel right about taking these back to Costco unless I know for a fact that Costco won't be harmed by it.  If they ship it back to Roku and Roku takes the hit then fine.  They should absorb the cost for their ignorance. 

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Why won't Roku allow Vidangel to be a certified channel?

Jump to solution

@Kreigar 

Why are you saying that Roku is stopping VidAngel from having a certified app? How have you determined that VidAngel simply has not gone through the certification process through a decision of their own? What is the basis of your claim?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

DBDukes

Jump to solution

@HerrimanCoder 

Who said that Roku will not allow VidAngel to have a certified app? Why are you saying that Roku will not allow VidAngel to submit, or Roku not approve and certify an app?

What is the basis of your claim?

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

MichaelJensen98
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution
atc98092

Re: Why won't Roku allow Vidangel to be a certified channel?

Jump to solution

VidAngel has sent emails to their customers stating they have submitted their channel numerous times for certification, but claim that Roku denies certification without explanation. I have trouble believing that, but it would be nice if Roku would confirm that status. However, to @Kreigar , I really doubt you'll get an official Roku response here about it. The Roku moderators are not provided that information, and they're really the only Roku staff that frequent the forum. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.