Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BobB4
Binge Watcher

Roku Video Doorbell & Chime won't connect to network

Received a Roku Video Doorbell & Chime SE as a Christmas gift.  After downloading Roku Smarthome app

and following instructions, I get to last step to scan QE code but it fails to make a connection.

The existing doorbell is a NuTone model BK115LWH-1 with a 16 VAC transformer.

I can stand by the doorbell and connect to the network without any problem.  The signal strength is good.

I powered down doorbell, modem/router and reinstalled the several times without success.

I am trying to connect to 2.4 G network.

Any other suggestions or ideas. 

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Video Doorbell & Chime won't connect to network

Greetings @BobB4 

Welcome to the Roku Community and thanks for posting regarding setting up your new Roku Smart Home Doorbell.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing with setting up the Roku Smart Home Video Doorbell? Do you have the wired or wirless doorbell? How far is the chime from your wireless network router? In addition, how far is the Video Doorbell from the chime?

For more information about setting up your Roku Smart Home Doorbell, visit our Support pages below:
Set up your Video Doorbell SE
Set up your Wire-free Video Doorbell SE

Please keep us posted with what you find out and we will be more than happy to continue to assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
BobB4
Binge Watcher

It is a wired video doorbell & chime SE.   The doorbell is about 40 ft from the router and the chime is about 10 ft from the router

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi @BobB4 

Thanks for the clarification regarding what you are experiencing with your Roku Smart Home Video Doorbell.

When the device is trying to scan the QR code and fails to make a connection, are you seeing an error within the Roku Smart Home mobile app? If so, can you let us know what it states, or provide a picture of what is shown on screen so we can better understand the issue.

As a last troubleshooting step, have you made sure that you are using the correct router password when trying to connect the Roku Smart Home device to your wireless network?

Let us know about an update and if you are still experiencing an issue, we can pass you along for further assistance with our Support team.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
BobB4
Binge Watcher

The doorbell does scan the QR code but I get "Connection failed." Try reentering your password. If that doesn't work, make sure you are connecting to a 2.4 GHz network and try again.  If the problem persists, please restart your router and modem.

I tried this several times but get the same result.

I am on Centurylink with a Zyxel C3000Z modem supplied by them.  It is dual channel 2.4 and 5 GHz.  I am using the 2.4 GHz channel.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi @BobB4 

Thanks for posting an update in the Roku Community regarding your Roku Smart Home Video Doorbell. 

It looks like you've done a great deal of troubleshooting trying to get the video doorbell setup. As a last resort, we would recommend try to perform a factory reset on the Roku Smart Home device to see if that resolves the issue.

For more information about how to perform a factory reset on your Roku Smart Home Video Doorbell, visit our Support page here: Factory reset your smart home device

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, we will be more than happy to pass you along to our Support team to assist you further. Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
BobB4
Binge Watcher

I did the reset per your instructions and still get the same result. Connection failed

0 Kudos
BobB4
Binge Watcher

I tried running through the setup again after moving the router and still fails to connect.  The doorbell says the QR code is incorrect. 

P.S. I could only move the router a couple of feet passed the fire place to get more of a line of sight to the doorbell.

0 Kudos
BobB4
Binge Watcher

I called Centurylink today and they checked my router and said everything looked good.  I changed my ssid and password on the 2.4 GHz band and tried to install video doorbell again.  To my surprise I was able to make a connection.  The app said I needed to upgrade my firmware so I said OK but it times out.  Now I am back to square one with a non-functional device.  Any ideas.

P.S.  I checked my wifi signal at the doorbell and it was 88%

0 Kudos
BobB4
Binge Watcher

Called tech support and they are sending a replacement for my doorbell

0 Kudos