Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thealexisgarcia
Reel Rookie

Roku Outdoor Camera Recording

Can someone help me with my recording problem? I recently bought these cameras and it seems to not record from afar. When I get really close it records the event. Since the detection is so bad I changed the detection to 50 to 100 and the same for the image sensitivity. I tried everything but nothing works. It’s not a wifi problem. Are my settings wrong? Should I do something I don’t know? 

#Camera #Recording #RokuCamera

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Outdoor Camera Recording

Your experience matches mine.  I don't think you're doing anything wrong.  I tried to get it to detect wildlife (deer and other smaller animals) and it only detected them when they were fairly close to the camera.  I don't know the precise distance, but it seemed if they were more than 30' away or so they weren't detected.  I was using the wireless outdoor camera and I moved the camera as far away from the base station as I could to get better results.

I've now moved it to a different residence and it doesn't detect people walking by at about 20 to 30' away, but I have it in a window, so I don't know if that affects things.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Gabby480
Binge Watcher

I have the same problem, and also change to 100 distance and sensitivity with no results. It doesn’t even show vehicles pulling into my driveway which is why I bought it. It also doesn’t notify me until someone is right up to my garage side door. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Gabby480

Thanks for the post.

We would be more than happy to assist you further with you issue, however we need more detailed information. What specific Roku Smart Home Outdoor Camera are you using?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Gabby480
Binge Watcher

Model: CW1000R

If I happen to watch it live I can see a vehicle pulling in, or see someone walking up the driveway. But otherwise the camera isn’t capturing it or notifying me. I have a subscription, I have the distance and sensitivity set on 100. I’ve tried moving the camera and it makes no difference. Also my husband will already opened the door before it notifies ( because he is closer to the camera then). 

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Gabby480 

Thanks for the follow up.

I have passed along your information to our Support team. They will follow up and assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Gabby480
Binge Watcher

Thanks, I hope they can help. 

0 Kudos
Gabby480
Binge Watcher

I haven’t heard a peep from any “support team.” I really would like to return this camera for a refund. It’s no good to me if the person is already at my door when it notifies me, and IF it notifies me. I feel it should be notifying me when someone pulls into my driveway or is walking up my driveway. 

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Gabby480 

Thanks for the follow up.

It does looks like our Support team did reach out to you for further assistance. Have you tried checking your Spam folder as sometimes our contact may be directed there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos