Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmahaffey

Roku Indoor Camera not allowing 2 way audio

I apologize if re-posting, however the only other post that I seen did not ever come to resolution.

I have 2 Roku Indoor Camera SE that works flawlessly with Apple Iphone (daughter's phone), however I can only see and hear audio on my android phone.  When pressing the mic icon on the app, it states "Speaking", but no audio comes from the camera.  Both cameras yield the same result.  I assume there is a permission somewhere that I don't have correctly, however I can't find out where.  In the app permissions, it shows that the mic was accessed with the correct date and time, it simply doesn't make it to the camera.

I have removed and reinstalled the app 3 times and removed/added the cameras 2 times.  The results did not change from doing this.

I have enabled all possible permissions in Android for the Roku Smart Home app.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Information:
Roku Indoor Camera SE (x2)
Roku Smart Home App Version:  2.0.1 (141) downloaded 7/9/2023
Camera Firmware Version:  3.0.1.3896 (both cameras)
Phone:  Samsung ZFlip 3
Android Version:  13
One UI Version: 5.1

Smart Home Permissions Allowed in App Info:
Camera, Location, Microphone, Music and Audio, Nearby Devices, Notifications, Phone, and Photos and Videos (I know it is more than required, but I enabled all trying to fix this issue).

I apologize for the long post, however wanted to provide as much insight as I could.  Thanks again for any advice you can offer!

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Indoor Camera not allowing 2 way audio

Hi @jmahaffey,

Thanks for posting to the Roku Community!

We're happy to assist you with your problem with your Roku Indoor Camera SE's microphone or two-way audio. Please try these steps:

1. Update the firmware of your Roku Smart Home app and camera.
  2. Force close the app.
  3. Restart the camera.
  4. Factory reset the camera. Please note that the Speak feature will not work if the user is actively on a phone call. Phone calls take precedence over this feature when the mic is in use.
  5. Set up the camera as a new device.

If the issue persists, please let us know.

Warm regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Did you ever get this issue resolved? I bought this same camera for my son's bedroom on September 11th and the two-way-audio didn't work. I contacted customer support, and they sent me a new camera. I got it today (September 21st), set it all up, and still no sound on two-way. I also have an android and am starting to think this is a problem between the camera and android phones. 🤔

0 Kudos

So I just bout a pair of indoor SE. Same problem. Many complaints about the speaker in the camera now working for voice. Siren is loud. Voice inaudible, faint. 

I see a couple suggestions about firmware, reboot, uninstall. Did it all. Doesn't work with Android I think is the actual answer even though it says Apple or Android on box. 

ZERO videos on how to fix this. Anyone...Anyone? Bueller?

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.