Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
osxanalyst
Reel Rookie

Question re ROKU and WYZE hardware compatibility

Jump to solution

I understand that "Wyze devices cannot be controlled by the Roku app, and Roku devices cannot be controlled by the Wyze app."  

My question is different.  

Since these devices seemingly are the same identical hardware just with different firmware, is it possible to flash a Wyze camera with Roku firmware to make it compatible with the Roku controller/apps?

If not, is the impediment a technical one or a legal one?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Question re ROKU and WYZE hardware compatibility

Jump to solution

It's quite possible that no one really knows the answer. The Roku devices all seem to update over the air only, so no way to flash the firmware with something else. I don't have any Wyze devices, but unless they allow flashing the firmware via USB then switching them to Roku won't be possible. 

It's also possible that the Roku branded devices use different internal hardware than Wyze uses on their name brand products, and that could preclude swapping the firmware as well.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
osxanalyst
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Is there a reason why my question is seemingly being ignored?

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

It's quite possible that no one really knows the answer. The Roku devices all seem to update over the air only, so no way to flash the firmware with something else. I don't have any Wyze devices, but unless they allow flashing the firmware via USB then switching them to Roku won't be possible. 

It's also possible that the Roku branded devices use different internal hardware than Wyze uses on their name brand products, and that could preclude swapping the firmware as well.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
saduser0
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hardware is identical (including internal) per FCC filing (check the FCC ID).  So yes, theoretically it is possible to interchange the respective firmware (assuming the firmware code doesn't do any self identity check and refuse to run, etc. WiFi Mac address is different per branding.)

Hard part is: while Wyze releases their camera firmware (downloadable in the Release Notes page) and set their u-boot bootloader to allow manual firmware upgrade and downgrade using micro SD card, Roku does NOT.  So no, it's NOT easily do-able even though it's theoretically possible.  Plus, the firmware themselves are signed with public/private key pairs and checked by the bootloader respectively on eaçh brand's products, so no easy way to get by that either.