Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
huntmarv
Streaming Star

Memory Cards For Roku Outdoor Wireless Camera and Base

Jump to solution

I bought an outdoor Roku SE wireless security camera. A few questions here. I know I need a 32 GB memory card or 2. How many frames per second is recommended? What quality of card is recommended? Extreme Plus, or is that not necessary? Finally... Can someone explain what the memory card in the camera itself does and what the one in the base does? I know one of them is for saving recordings. Not sure which. Is the same quality required for both base and camera? We have neighbors that are in for a rude awakening very soon. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. 

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Memory Cards For Roku Outdoor Wireless Camera and Base

Jump to solution

Hi @huntmarv 

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community regarding using a micro SD card with your Roku Smart Home Camera.

A micro SD card provides physical storage for your Roku Smart Home camera letting you back up your event recordings, and capture your continuous, scheduled, and time-lapse recordings. You can view some of these recordings from the Roku Smart Home mobile app, but for the most part you will need to remove the micro SD card and connect it to your computer or laptop.

For more information about using a micro SD cart with your Roku Smart Home Camera, visit our Support page here: Install a micro SD card in your camera

If you have any further inquiries in the future, please don't hesitate to post again in the Roku Community!

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

kgrotz
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It appears that the SD card that goes into the base is used to merely back up any recordings that are already recorded on the SD card (that is kept in the camera.)

I hope this helps.

https://support.roku.com/article/7875140351383

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @huntmarv 

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community regarding using a micro SD card with your Roku Smart Home Camera.

A micro SD card provides physical storage for your Roku Smart Home camera letting you back up your event recordings, and capture your continuous, scheduled, and time-lapse recordings. You can view some of these recordings from the Roku Smart Home mobile app, but for the most part you will need to remove the micro SD card and connect it to your computer or laptop.

For more information about using a micro SD cart with your Roku Smart Home Camera, visit our Support page here: Install a micro SD card in your camera

If you have any further inquiries in the future, please don't hesitate to post again in the Roku Community!

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
huntmarv
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I have the outdoor wireless SE up and working but have it set on SD. The recordings from audio are not that great. A lot of wind interference and I really can't make out what the troubled neighbors are saying. Can I set the memory card to HD? I noticed when I did there wasn't much wind noise but didn't leave it set to HD. Thanks for your response Danny. Much appreciated. 

0 Kudos
BamaStreamer
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yeah I have the same basic question. What benefits do you get if you have a card in both the base and the camera. I opened a chat and got Christine. She disconnected when I ask that question. I'm not impressed with any Roku support so far.

huntmarv
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I'm not impressed with their support either. They told me to call them for help setting up. I did and ended up hanging up. I set it up by myself but there are many flaws in the security system. I'd settle for a complete refund. 

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @BamaStreamer,

Thanks for posting about using a micro SD card with your Roku Smart Home Camera in the Roku Community.

Your Roku Smart Home camera's physical storage is on a micro SD card, enabling you to record continuous, scheduled, and time-lapse videos and backup event recordings. Some of these recordings can be viewed through the Roku Smart Home mobile app, but you'll need to take the micro SD card out and connect it to your laptop or PC.

For more information about using a micro SD card with your Roku Smart Home Camera, visit our Support page here: Install a micro SD card in your camera.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help you.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Epoweredrc

Jump to solution

I just got the floodlight with camera and having issues with no lights on the camera coming on, the flood lights come on man those are BRIGHT! Anyhow does it have to have the SD card in it to work? i didn't know it needed one so just fold a old 8GB sandick one and put in it.

Just looked at the link below they gave and all it says is

Note: The Roku Outdoor Camera SE and its base station only support cards ranging in size from 8GB to 32GB with FAT32.

Also says

• FAT32: 32GB or smaller
  • exFAT: Larger than 32GB

So not much info at all. Anyone figure out what cards work well?

Thanks

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Epoweredrc, it doesn't have to have a memory card to work.  The Floodlight camera isn't even mentioned here (par for the course for Roku), but the "Tech specs" given here do say for Storage:

• Local: MicroSD card Class 10 (not included)
    Supports up to 32GB FAT32 format

The note about exFAT on the other page is for cameras that do support a card larger than 32GB.  Whether or not it really has to be Class 10 I couldn't say.  I'd give your 8GB card a shot.  It's of limited use since there's no way to access the recordings without (probably) getting out a ladder to remove it so you can view them on a computer (i.e., no remote access to the card).

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
kgrotz
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It appears that the SD card that goes into the base is used to merely back up any recordings that are already recorded on the SD card (that is kept in the camera.)

I hope this helps.

https://support.roku.com/article/7875140351383

JASJr
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Any Idea if the backup happens automatically?  And if the files are backed up at the base, it sounds like you could just pull that SD card out to view the videos instead of having to get the ladder out.

0 Kudos