Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mr21921md

Detection Zone setup help

Jump to solution

You say, "usually the shaded area" shouldn't this be either one or the other?  Is it, or is it not the shaded area that is the detection Zone?  If not what situation would make it one or the other or both?  Why can't this be a direct answer?  I've been toggling with this for so long I'm ready to go with another Securiry camera company.  Please confirm a direct answer to the orignal question. Thank you for your follow up.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Mr21921md @TronCarterIII,

Greetings from the Roku Community, and thanks for keeping us posted!

We will be more than happy to assist you. Please be advised that your camera or video doorbell might be positioned to have a wide view, but you only want to detect motion in a specific area. The detection zone feature allows you to define a specific area where your device will detect movement. Everything outside of the zone is ignored and will not trigger an event recording.

You may also want to check out this support article here on how to adjust motion detection settings on your Roku Smart Home camera or video doorbell.

Best regards,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
TronCarterIII
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I just did some testing with my doorbell camera, and I can say definitively for the wired doorbell camera SE that THE SHADED AREA IS THE AREA THAT MOTION IS IGNORED BY THE CAMERA. When setting up the motion detection zone, you want to shade the areas where you want motion to be ignored by the camera.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Mr21921md @TronCarterIII,

Greetings from the Roku Community, and thanks for keeping us posted!

We will be more than happy to assist you. Please be advised that your camera or video doorbell might be positioned to have a wide view, but you only want to detect motion in a specific area. The detection zone feature allows you to define a specific area where your device will detect movement. Everything outside of the zone is ignored and will not trigger an event recording.

You may also want to check out this support article here on how to adjust motion detection settings on your Roku Smart Home camera or video doorbell.

Best regards,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Kuddy
Reel Rookie

Re: Detection Zone setup help

Jump to solution

You keep doin this copy a paste reply !! WHICH AREA IS THE DETECTION ZONE THE SHADED AREA OR NON SHADED???

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Kuddy, I think part of the problem is what's the definition of shaded vs. non-shaded?  Is "shaded" the dark area or the brighter area?

The answer is that the detection zone is what you draw with your finger.  When you click "Clear" you have set no detection zone.  When you start drawing with your finger, you're defining the detection zone.  Are you drawing shade leaving the rest non-shaded or vice versa?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Kuddy
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

LIMG_1926.png

This is how mine is when I draw it does that top 

0 Kudos
Kuddy
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@renojimdid you get my reply I didn’t tag you in it my fault .. but this is what mine does when I draw it does the top part starts off as the bottom shaded 

IMG_1926.png

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Kuddy, in that picture, the top brighter region is your detection zone.  It should ignore motion in the bottom darker region.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.