Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lilystar89
Reel Rookie

Camera turning on by itself

It started today & didn't notice until I was off work. I only use it while we are sleeping or taking a nap. But it recorded all day even though it was off. I restarted it a few times, unplugged for long periods of time, & reset it. Every time I reset it, scanning the QR code becomes harder. Not using a new phone, internet provider, no has the light changed. Why is my camera turning on & recording itself? Feels like my privacy is being violated

5 REPLIES 5
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Camera turning on by itself

Greetings @lilystar89 

Welcome to the Roku Community and thanks for posting regarding your inquiry about your Roku Smart Home Camera.

Do you know if you currently have any rules setup on your Roku Smart Home mobile app? In addition, do other users have access to your Roku Smart Home Camera or your Roku account?

Please keep us posted and we will be more than happy to assist you further. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Bellpepper
Reel Rookie

I have the exact same problem. My camera won’t turn off no matter what I try. It won’t restart either. The weird thing is that I’m still able to switch between night vision and regular vision so I know that I’m still connected to the device but I can’t do more than that. I had rules set to turn off and on at sunrise and sunset but I noticed it stopped turning off. I disabled the rules and tried to turn it off remotely but that also didn’t work. No one has access to my camera but me. I even tried using my second smartphone to see if that would resolve the problem but that also didn’t work. What makes it worse is that I paid for my subscription every month and now the camera doesn’t work properly anymore. What can I do to fix it?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hello @Bellpepper,

Welcome to the Roku Community. We appreciate you reaching out to us regarding the issue you're currently experiencing with your camera. We'd like to investigate this matter further to provide you with the best possible solution.

Kindly inform us when the issue first occurred and if you've attempted any troubleshooting steps. The more information you can provide us with, the better we can investigate the root cause of the problem.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Best regards,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Bellpepper
Reel Rookie

Sure, I noticed the problem on 09/18/23. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app, using a different phone, logging in and out, and even set a rule to turn off but nothing worked. At this time I can’t physically unplug the camera due to me being on a trip. Every time I try turning it off “Operation failed” keeps popping up. 

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@Bellpepper,

Thanks for your prompt response!

I suggest you try unplugging the camera or resetting it physically to see if that resolves the issue. Please get back to us and let us know how it goes.

We'll look forward to it. Thanks!

Regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos