Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RevDM1
Channel Surfer

Additional outdoor wireless cameras

Jump to solution

Really loving the doorbell and wireless outdoor camera I just installed. My question is, when I get a few more do I have to have a base for each one? Or is it possible to purchase just camera and add to existing base? Kinda running out of Ethernet spots on router 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Additional outdoor wireless cameras

Jump to solution

@RevDM1 

Currently, Roku only sells the Outdoor Cams SE with the base station included.  However, you can connect up to four (4) Outdoor Cams SE to each base station.

Additionally, the base station no longer needs to be connected via ethernet to router.  There was an update made to the mobile app a while back that added wireless/wifi capability so the base could be moved away from the router if needed.

https://support.roku.com/article/7869544173719#section-6

The latest update allows the user to simply unplug the ethernet cable between the base station and the router (the base station should now automatically connect via wifi.)

You can verify your connection status (wifi or ethernet) by selecting the Base Station from within the SmartHome app.  (You should see wifi or ethernet showing).  It should also show your connection if you venture further into the Settings (select gear icon upper right) and then select Device Info.  Look under the "Change Connection" for connection status.

-----

I am thinking that Roku will start selling the Outdoor Cams seperately, but a timeline for this is anyone's guess.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@RevDM1 

Currently, Roku only sells the Outdoor Cams SE with the base station included.  However, you can connect up to four (4) Outdoor Cams SE to each base station.

Additionally, the base station no longer needs to be connected via ethernet to router.  There was an update made to the mobile app a while back that added wireless/wifi capability so the base could be moved away from the router if needed.

https://support.roku.com/article/7869544173719#section-6

The latest update allows the user to simply unplug the ethernet cable between the base station and the router (the base station should now automatically connect via wifi.)

You can verify your connection status (wifi or ethernet) by selecting the Base Station from within the SmartHome app.  (You should see wifi or ethernet showing).  It should also show your connection if you venture further into the Settings (select gear icon upper right) and then select Device Info.  Look under the "Change Connection" for connection status.

-----

I am thinking that Roku will start selling the Outdoor Cams seperately, but a timeline for this is anyone's guess.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

RevDM1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I hope it’s sooner than later. I really only need three additional cams, so that would be perfect. Thank you for your help. 

0 Kudos