Account, payments & subscriptions

Get the help you need with the My Roku Account log in, Roku billing, subscription questions, and more. Join the community discussion for more assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The-Old-Git
Channel Surfer

Why have I been charged for a free trial?

Jump to solution

I subscribed to two channels, which have free trials, I had a quick look through the content and tried several films, then I cancelled the subscription on the same day, as, in my opinion, they were not very good, and did not warrant the price, so I did not want to get charged for them.

yet payment has been taken out of my bank account for both.

Why is this?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Why have I been charged for a free trial?

Jump to solution

Hi @Wholt,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

Please be aware that if the subscriptions purchased directly from a service provider or otherwise purchased outside the Channel Store or The Roku Channel will not appear on the Subscriptions page. Contact your service provider directly with any subscription or billing questions.

In addition, if you previously had a free trial through the same Roku account (on any Roku device linked to your account), you will not be eligible for another free trial with that specific service. We highly recommend reviewing the terms for any trial, prior to signing up.

You may unsubscribe from the channels from your TV or online account.

To cancel or unsubscribe from your Roku streaming device:

1. Press the Home button on Roku remote on your Roku remote
  2. Highlight the channel you want to cancel
  3. Press the * button on Roku remote on your remote to open the options menu
  4. Select Manage subscription
  5. To unsubscribe, select Cancel subscription
  6. To confirm, select Cancel subscription
  7. Select Done

To cancel or unsubscribe from a mobile device or PC

1. Sign in to your Roku account
  2. Select Manage your subscriptions
  3. Select the channel or subscription under Active subscriptions
  4. Select Turn off auto-renew
  5. Choose a cancellation reason to complete the process and select Continue to cancel

You may also refer to this link: How to unsubscribe, cancel, or turn off auto-renew for a subscription | Roku

If you need further assistance, feel free to contact Roku support.

Best regards,
Mary

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @rkn0555,

Thanks for the post.

We appreciate your patience regarding this matter. I understand that you are inquiring about a charge during a free trial. Please be aware that if you previously had a free trial through the same Roku account (on any Roku device linked to your account), you will not be eligible for another free trial with that specific service. We highly recommend reviewing the terms for any trial, prior to signing up.

If you continue to have questions about a charge, please reach our Account-billing team at Roku Support.

Best regards,
Mary

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
28 REPLIES 28
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@The-Old-Git 

Go to https://my.roku.com and log in. Then go to Manage your subscriptions. Do you see the subscriptions listed there?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
The-Old-Git
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I do see themScreenshot 2022-03-31 113914.gif:

They are saying cancelled and yet I have still been charged for them

They both said 3 days free trial, yet the dates I can watch until are as if I have subscribed with no free trial

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You aren’t in the US I see. Are you 100% positive you had a free trial? Some channels only offer 5-7 days of a free trial. I just downloaded Fearflix and it’s totally free. But I’m in the US. From your screenshot it looks like you signed up for both on 3/29. Seems to me like there wasn’t a free trial for either of these. Free trials are offered through the channel company. Not Roku. 

0 Kudos
The-Old-Git
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I'm in the UK, when I clicked on them it said start your 3 day free trial, it certainly did not say anything about my location, surely we should be warned by either the channel company, or most definitely by ROKU as they are the ones who take the payment 

I also have another subscription with a free trial, which appears to be working correctly

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@The-Old-Git  how quickly did you cancel it? Did you cancel it within 48 hours? When did you sign up? 

0 Kudos
The-Old-Git
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I actually cancelled both of them the same day, one of them was within an hour, as I chose the wrong channel, the other was probably within two or three hours, but definitely well within 48 hours 

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@The-Old-Git 

The dates indicate a full monthly charge. You should also have an email from when you subscribed, and it should include the information about a trial.

Roku Billing should take it and work with you to get this resolved. I'll start by tagging @Jeremiah-Roku and he or one of the others handling billing issues will work with you on this.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Streamer317
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@The-Old-Git  Did you receive a confirmation email of cancelation? 

0 Kudos
The-Old-Git
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I do have emails to say about thank you for your subscription, and also cancelation emails, but there is no mention of free trial, although it would have been too late to act from them as it had already taken the money

FearFlix subscribed 29th March 20.52, cancelled 29th March 20.55

Full Moon subscribed 29th March 20.58, cancelled 29th March 21.24

I have tried emailing ROKU, and hopefully I will receive a reply

I appreciate your help and tagging them in, thanks

0 Kudos