Account, payments & subscriptions

Get the help you need with the My Roku Account log in, Roku billing, subscription questions, and more. Join the community discussion for more assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ashill
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

We’re staying in an Airbnb with a Roku TV. I’d like to log in to our Roku account and/or subscriptions (Netflix, Disney+, MLB, etc).

I tried to log in to guest mode, but it’s set to require a passcode to enable guest mode.

I understand that I can’t log out of the owner’s account without resetting the device, which doesn’t seem right. If I log into individual services, does that mean I’m logging in the Roku owner’s Roku account to that service? ie will the owner be able to use and/or modify my (eg) Netflix account if I log in to Netflix on their Roku?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Log in while staying in Airbnb on Roku TV; guest mode not enabled

Jump to solution

Greetings @ashill 

Welcome to the Roku Community and thanks for posting regarding your inquiry of using a Roku device that is does not have the Guest Mode enabled.

Unfortunately in this particular circumstance, there is not really a great solution given the situation that will protect both your Roku account as well as the owners. We would not advise adding your channel credentials to authenticate a channel on another Roku account that is not connected to your Roku account.

To ensure the security of your account information, the best feasible options at this time are:

1. Contact the owner of the device to obtain the PIN to enable Guest Mode so you can safely authenticate the channels you are trying to watching
  2. Factory reset the Roku device and set it up as a new device under your own Roku account. Please be aware that this option would require you to know the wireless network information, as well as require you to make sure you factory reset the device before you leave. In addition, the owner would have to setup the Roku device again.

We hope this provides clarification of what are the best options available to you at this time. If you have another inquiry in the future, please don't hesitate posting in the Roku Community again.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Greetings @ashill 

Welcome to the Roku Community and thanks for posting regarding your inquiry of using a Roku device that is does not have the Guest Mode enabled.

Unfortunately in this particular circumstance, there is not really a great solution given the situation that will protect both your Roku account as well as the owners. We would not advise adding your channel credentials to authenticate a channel on another Roku account that is not connected to your Roku account.

To ensure the security of your account information, the best feasible options at this time are:

1. Contact the owner of the device to obtain the PIN to enable Guest Mode so you can safely authenticate the channels you are trying to watching
  2. Factory reset the Roku device and set it up as a new device under your own Roku account. Please be aware that this option would require you to know the wireless network information, as well as require you to make sure you factory reset the device before you leave. In addition, the owner would have to setup the Roku device again.

We hope this provides clarification of what are the best options available to you at this time. If you have another inquiry in the future, please don't hesitate posting in the Roku Community again.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ashill
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks.

I asked the unit owner for the PIN, but instead they provided me their full account info. I can see all of their Rokus (they have about a dozen) in their account, but I don’t think the one at the place we’re staying is one of them. The email address listed in Settings > System > About is not the email address the owner thinks it is, so presumably it’s logged in as some previous guest.

Now I’ll throw away the password the unit owner sent, which was definitely not what I wanted to happen!

It seems weird that guest mode requires a PIN; seems like a feature that both undermines security both for the owner (by not having a simple way for a guest to log in using their own credentials if the owner forgot or didn’t know to put the unit in guest mode) and for the guest (by having a guest log in to other accounts like Netflix while logged in to the owner’s Roku account). I don’t see why a PIN should be required to enable guest mode.

Jump to solution

Just remove the channels you added using the * key and remove channel.   

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

The owner should of created the account with an email forwarder account such as proton mail or Duck.com email.   

0 Kudos