Account, payments & subscriptions

Get the help you need with the My Roku Account log in, Roku billing, subscription questions, and more. Join the community discussion for more assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brownstudy
Reel Rookie

How to dispute a Roku charge if you don't have a Roku account??

Jump to solution

My wife's credit card was charged with an $80 Roku charge for ESPN. The charge definitely came from Roku.

Here's the issue: she doesn't even have a Roku account. And the only way to dispute the charge is to create an account, and then go through all the support site rigamarole? WHY?

I know that I cannot dispute that bogus charge because it did not happen on my account, and Roku will brush me off.

But how can my wife dispute that charge with Roku without having to create a Roku account that she doesn't need to have EXCEPT TO DISPUTE AN ERRONEOUS CHARGE?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Re: How to dispute a Roku charge if you don't have a Roku account??

Jump to solution

Do you have a Roku account that your wife's credit card may be linked to?  Login to your Roku account and check your payment information and subscriptions.  

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@brownstudy 

Allow someone with over 20 years previous experience in the credit card industry to offer some insight.

When a financial institution get credit card data submitted to them, there is a description that is essentially free text. It can say anything.

It's supposed to say who made the charge, and contact information about it. However, it can contain any information.

If a thief (no other way to describe them) obtains credit card information, they can submit the information and fill out the text any way they want. They can put NASA, they can put Queen of England, they can put UNICEF, they can put Roku, they can put anything. In this case, they put Roku. They're thieves, so a lie on top of theft is kinda par for the course.

Since your wife has never had a Roku account, there's no way Roku got the information. Someone compromised a system that had that credit card information, and some thief (maybe a different person) ended up with it. They submitted information and put Roku in the description.

Roku didn't do this. Some thief did and then lied about it.

From the Roku end, go to https://support.roku.com/contactus and fill out what you can there.

On your end, report it as fraud to your financial institution. 

Also: tagging @Jeremiah-Roku who is a forum contact for billing.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Do you have a Roku account that your wife's credit card may be linked to?  Login to your Roku account and check your payment information and subscriptions.  

brownstudy
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm the head of household tech support so all accounts are routed through me and my credit cards. My wife has no access to the accounts and neither her name nor her card info are associated with any of them.

If a subscription went through, it would have gone through my card since I'm the account owner.

All we have is a Roku stick with channels set up for the services that I subscribe to (Hulu, Netflix, etc). We have not bought anything via the Roku service using my card.

0 Kudos
brownstudy
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for the info. It looks like a one-off as no other unexpected charges are showing up on her account. But we are in touch with the bank.

Sax1278
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am reviewing my elderly father's bank statement.   He's had been being billed for Roku services for about 2 years now without his knowledge.    He is 81 years old, has suffered a stroke and has NO idea what Roku even is.    I need to speak with someone about how to stop this from happening but I can't  reach a person.    And when I try to use the website, it says to sign-in to the account.  HE DOESN'T HAVE AN ACCOUNT!   

Any assistance would be welcomed. @Jeremiah-Roku  @RokuLianna @RokuLu

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @Sax1278

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

It may be more effective to seek assistance from our Billing team for account and billing issues. You can contact them here and then choose 'Account, payments & subscription'. They are the most qualified to assist you in this matter.

Thank you for your understanding and stay safe!

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
Sax1278
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi @RokuKarla 

This issue is that in order to receive help via the link that you sent, you must have an account.    My father does not have an account.    What would be my next step in this case?    Is there an actual person that can help with this situation?    This seems like a very bad practice.

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Sax1278 You used a Roku account to post here.  Use that account to sign in and ask your question.  You hopefully can explain the situation enough that Roku will contact you.

0 Kudos