Account, payments & subscriptions

Get the help you need with the My Roku Account log in, Roku billing, subscription questions, and more. Join the community discussion for more assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't remove apps even after cancelling subscriptions

Jump to solution

I understand the Roku flaw that will not allow me to remove an app even though the billing cycle is not to the end. However, I insist that Roku remove these apps immediately that my son added without permission. I cancelled auto-renew already so I should be able to remove them. If I could get a refund, I would want that also. These apps have unacceptable content for young children and there should be a way for parents to permanently remove them ANYTIME. I have now added a pin so he can't add channels any more, but I need these removed immediately.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Can't remove apps even after cancelling subscriptions

Jump to solution

@nuttyputter wrote:

I understand the Roku flaw that will not allow me to remove an app even though the billing cycle is not to the end. However, I insist that Roku remove these apps immediately that my son added without permission. I cancelled auto-renew already so I should be able to remove them. If I could get a refund, I would want that also. These apps have unacceptable content for young children and there should be a way for parents to permanently remove them ANYTIME. I have now added a pin so he can't add channels any more, but I need these removed immediately.

Hi there! While there is an active subscription, it isn't possible to remove a channel from your home screen. Go ahead and reach out to billing support to request a refund for those channels, you can find live chat and phone number at http://support.roku.com/contactus.

You might also mention to them you'd like to remove the channel and ask that they cancel the subscription immediately, and see if that will work (you may need to wait a day after an immediate cancelation). If they are unable to process an immediate cancelation, you'll be able to remove these channels after the billing cycle has expired.

We do this so folks don't forget they have subscriptions and go to remove a channel, and then see a charge on their bill many months later because they have forgotten and have paid for a service that was being used. 

While you're logged into your account, go ahead and add a PIN number so that channels cannot be added without your permission. 

How to access your PIN preferences

Use the following instructions to create or reset your Roku PIN:

1. Sign in to your Roku account
  2. Under PIN Preference, select Update
  3. To set up a PIN, select Create a PIN
  4. To reset an existing Roku PIN, select Change PIN

We appreciate the request to immediately remove purchased channels, especially those you do not want your child to have access to. I've added this as a feature request for our product and engineering team to take a look at. 

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@nuttyputter, for a refund, try pleading your case with account/billing support at https://support.roku.com/contactus.  To remove the apps, try using the mobile app on a phone or tablet.  Search for the app you want to remove and you should be offered a choice to launch it or to remove it.  I know you've already cancelled the subscription, but for anyone else reading this, removing an app doesn't automatically cancel a subscription (which is why you can't remove an app on a Roku device if you have an active subscription through Roku).

Roku Mobile App - Free for iOS® or Android™ | Roku

Roku Community Streaming Expert

I am not a Roku employee.
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@nuttyputter wrote:

Hi there! While there is an active subscription, it isn't possible to remove a channel from your home screen. Go ahead and reach out to billing support to request a refund for those channels, you can find live chat and phone number at http://support.roku.com/contactus.

You might also mention to them you'd like to remove the channel and ask that they cancel the subscription immediately, and see if that will work (you may need to wait a day after an immediate cancelation). If they are unable to process an immediate cancelation, you'll be able to remove these channels after the billing cycle has expired.

We do this so folks don't forget they have subscriptions and go to remove a channel, and then see a charge on their bill many months later because they have forgotten and have paid for a service that was being used. 

While you're logged into your account, go ahead and add a PIN number so that channels cannot be added without your permission. 

How to access your PIN preferences

Use the following instructions to create or reset your Roku PIN:

1. Sign in to your Roku account
  2. Under PIN Preference, select Update
  3. To set up a PIN, select Create a PIN
  4. To reset an existing Roku PIN, select Change PIN

We appreciate the request to immediately remove purchased channels, especially those you do not want your child to have access to. I've added this as a feature request for our product and engineering team to take a look at. 

Happy Streaming!

HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@nuttyputter This is not a great solution by any means.   If you have no apps that you want to keep that you have subscripted to through Roku, you could go to your current Roku account and change the password so your son can not access the account.  Then create a new Roku account with a different email and password.  Log all of your Roku devices out of the current account and log them into the new account.  This is at best a last resort option as you will have to login to all of your apps just like starting fresh with Roku.  It also only works if you son does not have access to either of your email accounts.

0 Kudos