Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: My Onn TV won't stay connected to wifi even though I have a excellent internet connection

Jump to solution

Hi @Normdeb72@Sawyer57,

Thanks for posting to the Roku Community!

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We are interested in learning more about the problem you are experiencing. Are you encountering any error messages or error codes? In addition, can you please specify the exact steps you are taking to reproduce this issue so we can investigate further?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you best.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Normdeb72
Channel Surfer

Re: My Onn TV won't stay connected to wifi even though I have a excellent internet connection

Jump to solution

Every morning, we have to reconnect to the internet. If the tv is off for a long time during the day it's the same thing. No error message. Just have to go through the steps to reconnect every time. The other tv's are fine. Never a problem. 

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Normdeb72,

Thanks for the response!

We are interested in learning more about the problem you are experiencing, and we'd be more than glad to assist. There are a few troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Navigate to Settings > System > Advance System Settings > Network Connection Reset > Reset Connection.
  2. Then restart your Roku device from Settings > System > Power (skip if there is no sub-menu) > System Restart. 
  3. Restart your modem/router and reconnect your Roku device to your network.

Please keep us posted on how this works for you, and we'll continue assisting you from there.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Normdeb72
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Did that. No changes. 

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Normdeb72,

Thanks for keeping us updated!

We're sorry if you are still experiencing the issue after doing the troubleshooting steps provided above. May we ask what Roku device you are using right now? (e.g., Roku Express, Roku Streambar, Roku TV—specify TV) Who is your ISP? (Internet Service Provider) In addition, have you tried to connect your Roku device to an alternative wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you are still experiencing the same issue? If you see something different, please let us know what you see.

We look forward to hearing from you and looking closely into this issue.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Normdeb72
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

IMG_5035.jpeg

T mobile internet. Don’t have a mobile hotspot. 

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Normdeb72,

We appreciate the response!

Please note that a few recent network connection problems have been reported that have been caused by updates to routers. These have primarily been reported with routers supplied by internet providers, but it's possible they could also occur with user-owned routers that have received updates.

• ROKU LOCATES NETWORK BUT CAN NOT CONNECT
      Some router updates have changed the router's security setting from b/g/n to just g/n, causing some Roku models to lose their ability to connect to the network. The solution is to set the router's configuration back to using b/g/n security.

• ROKU CAN NOT FIND LOCAL WIFI NETWORK
      Some routers (reported from Xfinity and Cox, but there may be others) have had their 2.4 GHz WiFi band turned off, leaving only the 5 GHz band operational. Devices with single-band WiFi radios, notably Roku Express and Premiere models (but not Express 4K models), and many other single-band devices, can not even see the 5 GHz band. The solution is to reconfigure the router and turn the 2.4 GHz band back on.

If this problem was not caused by a router update deactivating the 2.4 GHz band, often a restart of the router (even if other devices are still connecting) followed by a restart of the Roku via Settings > System > System restart (for Roku TV it's Settings > System > Power > Restart) will allow the connection to be re-established.

If you need to make configuration changes on equipment supplied by your internet provider but have no access to its settings, you may request your internet provider to make the changes.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Normdeb72
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The tv connects to the internet. At night or if the tv is off for an extended time we have to reconnect it. It’s annoying but I guess it’s better than nothing. 

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

@Normdeb72,

Thanks for the note!

Sometimes, you might also try changing your network password (avoid using any special characters from your wireless network password) to see if that resolves the connection issue. 

Check out some wireless troubleshooting tips here: 
Tips for improving the wireless connection to your Roku® streaming device

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Ginny_

Jump to solution

I was running into this issue back in February. I contacted CS and was told it was my wifi that was the issue when my other devices had no issue connecting. This issue is now occurring again. As soon as I connect to the wifi and try to stream anything my Onn Tv will immediately disconnect from the wifi. This is driving me insane because I can’t even use the tv at this point. I have tried every reset imaginable and nothing has fixed this issue so far. I really feel like it’s the tv itself because I have no issues with my other TV’s or devices. Please fix this issue. 

0 Kudos