Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rgwhitaker
Streaming Star

"Unable to connect to wireless network. Error 014"

My Roku streaming stick has been working fine. This past Wednesday, I had a power outage. Now, I am no longer able to connect to my Xfinity wireless.

To connect, I go into Settings > Network > Set up connection > Wireless.

I then select my network, then enter my password.

I then receive the error "Unable to connect to wireless network. Error 014."

I found this video on YouTube: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON-jxQG2VOE&t=1s

The solution was to change Mode within the network from 802.11 g/n to 802.11 b/g/n.

Unfortunately, Xfinity no longer allows that change to be made. If I attempt to make the change, the router Admin simply doesn't save the change. I contacted Xfinity Customer Service and the agent told me that we can't make that change any more.

Any viable solutions?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: "Unable to connect to wireless network. Error 014"

@rgwhitaker 

The b/g/n  Wireless Mode is for the 2.4hz band of your network.  This issue is primarily limited to cable ISP (like Comcast/Xfinity, Cox, and AT&T).  I would actually call them back and make them make this change. (you will likely get another representative.  Tell them you have security cameras or baby monitors that need legacy b mode "enabled" to work).  Do not take "no" for an answer.

With the above out of the way, your Roku Streaming Stick is also 5ghz capable. (dual-band capable meaning your device can use both the 2.4hz and 5ghz bands of your network).  It is possible that when the router reset after power restored, it may have selected an incompatible channel for Roku on the 5ghz band.  Roku cannot use DFS channels 52-140.  Roku can only see/use non-DFS channels 36-48 and 149-165.  Try changing the Wireless Channels in the Xfinity app for this router to use one of the above channels.  Do not use "Auto" setting.  Preferably, I would try selecting one of the channels in the high band (149-165.  also try not to use 165 as that may be reserved/overlap for military use in some areas).

This is why having the b/g/n enabled on the 2.4ghz is important.  If for some reason you cannot connect to the 5ghz band (ie. router chooses a DFS channel on the 5ghz band), then the Roku device has the alternative option to connect to the 2.4 ghz band.  As it stands now, you cannot connect to either band likely due to a router setting and an ill-informed Xfinity representative.  They cannot tell you that you cannot enable legacy-b mode on the router.

Sometimes, you can keep restarting the router and it may select a non-DFS channel (if this is the issue), but kind of like playing the slots.  Easier to make the change in the router itself.

----

Finally, another method is to purchase your own router.  You can use it in conjunction with the Xfinity router by placing the Xfinity router in a "Bridge Mode" (thereby making it a modem), and using your own router with whatever settings you want.  Xfinity would have no control over your router or the settings you choose.  You could also just use this new router (as long as compatible with Xfinity) by itself without the Xfinity router in Bridge Mode.

The list of Xfinity compatible routers is here for reference.  https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/list-of-approved-cable-modems

If you place the Xfinity router in Bridge Mode, then you can generally use any router as long as second in line so can stray from the list of "approved routers".  The above list is meant generally for those wanting to just use one router.

-----

Feel free to post back after checking into the Wireless Settings on the 5ghz band or if you still need more help.  Please include router model number as well.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

rgwhitaker
Streaming Star

Thank you for your reply.

I'll call Xfinity support again and not take no.

I'd rather not go through the hassle of a new router.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@rgwhitaker 

Also check into the 5ghz Wireless Channel settings and make sure you are using a compatible channel (36-48, or 149-161) so you have the option of using your 5ghz band as well.  Just use you Xfi app or login to your router admin portal to make the necessary changes.

To login to your router, go to any web browser and type in the address bar http://10.0.0.1  

Then enter your username and password.  (default is admin and password).  Look under the 5 ghz Wireless Settings and select "Edit." (Gateway/Connection/Wifi/5ghz)

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/wifi-change-admin-tool

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-wifi-channel-admin-tool

----

Depending on your router model number, may need to use the Xfi app to make changes rather than logging in to your router.  For some models, need to call Xfinity to make any requested changes.

0 Kudos
rgwhitaker
Streaming Star

Right now the channel on the 5ghz is set to 36. Should I change it?

I'm on the phone with with Xfinity. The agent is saying they can't change the 802.11 g/n to 802.11 b/g/n.

At this point are there any other solutions, besides finding a new provider?

0 Kudos
rgwhitaker
Streaming Star

Also, within the 5 GHz, the Channel Bandwidth option is set to 20/40/80. Is that setting okay?

0 Kudos
rgwhitaker
Streaming Star

Also, what should the Mode be set to for 5GHz?

Currently, I have it set to 802.11 a/n/ac.

0 Kudos
rgwhitaker
Streaming Star

I just finished my call with Xfinity.

The agent said to go to a local Comcast store and get a new router since I've had my router/modem since 2017.

My question is,  would a new router/modem actually make a difference? I don't want to waste the time if it's not going to help.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@rgwhitaker 

What is the model number of the router of the router you currently have?  Look for sticker on side or bottom.

Some of the older routers are still configurable by user.  The newer routers will almost certainly have b protocol disabled in their firmware.

----

As for your 5ghz settings, they look fine as you reported ch. 36, n/AC.  You can certainly try another compatible channel, but don:t think that is issue.

-----

Try going into router settings and either changing the SSID password to something very easy (no special characters) or leave the password empty (creates open network).  Let's rule out a password issue with this step. 

Change the password for both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands. (Or leave blank while troubleshooting).  Then Restart the router.  Then go to your Roku device and Reset Network Connection under Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Network Connection Reset/Reset Connection.

-----

Personally, I would purchase my own router and tell Comcast/Xfinity to jump in a lake. Especially if you are leasing a router from them and they are refusing to configure it to work with the devices on your network.

0 Kudos
rgwhitaker
Streaming Star

Thank you for your reply.

I looked at the sticker on the bottom of the router. The Model number is DPC3941T.

Also, I changed the network name via Admin and now there is only one network named shared between the 2.4 Ghz and the 5 Ghz. So, when I go into Roku Settings, there's only one network name to choose from. Should I be able to choose between a 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz network names?

0 Kudos