Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BlueSkyHi
Binge Watcher

Roku won't connect via 5.1Ghz channel in my ASUS AiMesh System

Hi,

I have three (3) Roku Ultra devices in my ASUS AiMesh system and have an issue that I can't seem to resolve.

None of the three devices connect via the 5.1Ghz band unless I bind the Roku to the main wireless router which has less than optimal wireless strength due to physical separation, etc.

When I try to bind the Roku devices to the AiMesh node that is closest to the Roku, the connection is great but only connects to the 2.4Ghz band.

I know this isn't a Roku issue, but an ASUS AiMesh issue, but maybe some has stumbled across it in the past and can share some insight.

Thanks! 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
6E616D65
Roku Guru

Re: Roku won't connect via 5.1Ghz channel in my ASUS AiMesh System

Specify non-DFS channels, don't use auto channel selection. I have 1 radio using channel 48 (set to 20/40/80 MHz width), and another radio uses channel 149, same channel width. All 3 of my Ultras will connect to either with no problem.

You don't need to specify one of those channels, those co-exist best with MY neighbors, just specify some non-DFS channel, which I assume you're including by stating 5.1 GHz. Again, auto channel selection will include those channels that the Ultras won't see.

0 Kudos
BlueSkyHi
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku won't connect via 5.1Ghz channel in my ASUS AiMesh System

Thanks for the response.  My router, in this case an ASUS RT-AC5300 and, other than automatic, only allows 5.1Ghz control channels of 36, 40, 44, or 48 and the "Extension Channel" set to automatic.  This particular router firmware doesn't seem to know about DFS specifically and I can't manipulate the device to try different options.

Still, the fact that I can connect directly to this router at 5.1Ghz with my Roku devices but not to the nodes that are in AiMesh configuration is something that maybe ASUS can help with.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.