Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tellu

Roku switched countries on me?

Jump to solution

I've had a Roku TV for about a year now. It's been going well until today. I started watching a show on CBC Gem, which is a Canadian channel (I live in Canada). I watched 2 episodes then took a break. When I tried to watch the third episode, I kept getting an error message telling me that the content is not available outside of Canada. How do I fix this?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: Roku switched countries on me?

Jump to solution

Roku typically uses your IP address for rough geolocation. If your external IP address changed, it may point to the wrong location. IP geolocation is hit-or-miss, and is mainly a few companies that gather up data voluntarily given by companies or users.

There is also an entry in the Roku settings for ZIP code that may or may not help, assuming it can support Canadian Postal codes, which appear to be letter/numbers.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Roku typically uses your IP address for rough geolocation. If your external IP address changed, it may point to the wrong location. IP geolocation is hit-or-miss, and is mainly a few companies that gather up data voluntarily given by companies or users.

There is also an entry in the Roku settings for ZIP code that may or may not help, assuming it can support Canadian Postal codes, which appear to be letter/numbers.

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Should also add it may not be Roku, but the app itself getting your external IP address and using a geolocation service that has an error.

0 Kudos