Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rm16
Reel Rookie

Roku keeps losing connection

Jump to solution

Can anyone from Roku please explain why my Roku keeps losing connection? Its properly setup, the WiFi it's connected to still works with other devices and there is no interruption in the connection or service from the ISP. Do I need to throw away my Roku and get another brand of streaming device?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Roku keeps losing connection

Jump to solution

Make sure the router is set to b/g/n Wi-Fi modes.  Some Xfinity router firmware updates have quietly changed that setting to g/n only (which has led to unreliable connections on 2.4GHz-only Roku models) and some have turned the 2.4GHz off entirely.

Since Xfinity keeps messing with the 2.4GHz, there is something to be said for getting a Roku that can do 5GHz (which is most current models – all but the one at the bottom of the line-up, I believe) but just changing a g/n mode setting back to b/g/n usually gets people running again.

To my knowledge, Roku is not really in the device business, and sells hardware pretty much at cost.  As such they don't have much motivation to obsolete any of their installed base, but newer stuff usually does outperform older stuff.

By the way, I've had to fix the 2.4GHz on my parent's Xfinity router twice so far.  They don't have a Roku, but Xfinity keeps knocking their 2.4GHz-only printer off-line with those silent router firmware updates.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @Rm16

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Could you tell us who your internet service provider is? If you are getting an error code or message, refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: How to connect your Roku device to the internet using Wi-Fi or Ethernet

Furthermore, if the affected device is either a Roku Express or Roku Premiere, please note that they are only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to. You can check your device model by navigating to Settings > System > About.

You can also try configuring your router and use wireless channels 1, 6, or 11 which are the preferred channels in North America. Each time you change the wireless channel, you will likely need to apply/save changes before you are prompted to restart the router.

Keep us posted.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Rm16
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have Xfinity as my ISP. (Buy that is definitely not the issue) There are no error messages other than the "for some reason the connection was lost" despite the other devices connected to the router don't experience the same issue, EVER! And it will only connect to the 2.4ghz and not the 5ghz. I have a 3900W model Roku.

The problem is the device, if Roku sent out a firmware update to cause this issue, I would have appreciated a message simply stating, "We want you to spend more money and buy a newer Roku so we are going to cause you issues with your current model. Thanks for throwing away your money by purchasing or products."

Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Make sure the router is set to b/g/n Wi-Fi modes.  Some Xfinity router firmware updates have quietly changed that setting to g/n only (which has led to unreliable connections on 2.4GHz-only Roku models) and some have turned the 2.4GHz off entirely.

Since Xfinity keeps messing with the 2.4GHz, there is something to be said for getting a Roku that can do 5GHz (which is most current models – all but the one at the bottom of the line-up, I believe) but just changing a g/n mode setting back to b/g/n usually gets people running again.

To my knowledge, Roku is not really in the device business, and sells hardware pretty much at cost.  As such they don't have much motivation to obsolete any of their installed base, but newer stuff usually does outperform older stuff.

By the way, I've had to fix the 2.4GHz on my parent's Xfinity router twice so far.  They don't have a Roku, but Xfinity keeps knocking their 2.4GHz-only printer off-line with those silent router firmware updates.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.