Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nightsmusic
Streaming Star

Re: Roku keep losing the connection to my modem.

Well, congratulations, Roku! After days and days of going through constantly having to reconnect to my wireless, even though every other unit that uses a wireless connection including my laptop, my actual TV, my Roku TV in my bedroom, etc never disconnected from the internet, just the Roku Express, I finally broke down and bought a Fire Stick. It's been plugged in for two days now and hasn't disconnected ONE TIME!! I have to say it's really too bad you just don't want to listen to your customers anymore when they tell you what's going on or when the trouble starts with something. We told you it started after the latest update. But we have to tell you here because there's no other way to tell you and then we have to hope someone from Roku and not a moderator here actually sees the comment. So let me reiterate once again...

YOUR LATEST UPDATE HAS BROKEN THE UNIT'S ABILITY TO HOLD ITS INTERNET CONNECTION SO EITHER ROLL THE UPDATE BACK TO THE PREVIOUS SETTING OR FIX THE INTERNET CONNECTIVITY PORTION OF THE UPDATE!!!

jb27
Binge Watcher

I also just bought a firestick. Connected instantly!! It had no problem finding my wireless and it's been working ever since!!

jb27
Binge Watcher

Agreed. I am sending mine back for a replacement. I must say, for me, customer service was pretty efficient 

nightsmusic
Streaming Star

Their customer service did replace this Express at one point but it took days and days of going in circles and trying this, that and the other thing before they believed that it really was the Express and not my connection or my TV or anything else.  At one point, I even got a replacement router from Xfinity and that didn't help so finally got the replacement Express. And it worked for awhile, but every update screws something up and this last one was enough for me to say 'enough'. I have to admit, the Roku has a far better picture, I think than the Fire Stick, but I need the connectivity and the Roku doesn't have it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

With the Fire Stick, how do you watch broadcast TV? I use Tablo with Roku, and am wondering if I can use Tablo with Fire. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

I finally dug out my old Roku stick and started using that instead of the HD+ unit. We have had constance viewing. No problems at all!

Except that the company's website, and my stick both went down at the same time. It was down thru the afternoon and evening. This morning the website is up and the stick is working again.

I'll try reconnecting my HD box unit and see what I get. I'm hoping the outage the company experience yesterday was due to a global update and my unit will work again, like it did for the last year or two. 

nightsmusic
Streaming Star

Come back and let us know! My old, non-HDD unit is upstairs and it's really, really old so I didn't want to try and hook it up. I suppose I could have tried since like I mentioned, the Roku TV stayed connected and didn't have the problem at all. The real frustration is the lack of any kind of response other than, 'push this button, push that button, report back,' and that's it when clearly, it happened after the last update according to everyone here who is reporting the problem. So either they didn't bother to test the update on all of their current models, or they did and knowing there was a problem, pushed it out there anyway.

0 Kudos
nightsmusic
Streaming Star

I stream with YouTube TV and Philo, but Haystack carries a lot of the local channels and so does Local Now though theirs is mostly news. You can download the Roku Live Channel without having a Roku stick. Did you know that? That has local channels too.

jb27
Binge Watcher

Wow I had no idea. Good to know. How do you stream Roku live without a stick? Does Haystack stream CP 24?? Didn't know about haystack either.

0 Kudos
nightsmusic
Streaming Star

Well, I had a really long explanation typed out and the site ate it.

The Roku Live Channel is an app like anything else you can add, Discovery+, Disney, Motortrend+, any of those. Sometimes, an app won't work on a Smart TV, but if you have a Smart TV, you don't need a streaming stick because if the app doesn't work on the TV, the TV has a built in browser and you can watch the app/site through the browser. Technically, the streaming stick just puts everything in one spot so you don't have to skip between things like the TV interface or the browser.

Haystack is the same thing, an app. It runs 24/7 and has most local stations. I don't remember if it shows live programming or just news. You'd have to look. I can tell you though that I use an antennae on my second floor, a OneBy1 that's stuck to my inside wall with Command Strips and I get all the local channels in a 50 mile radius so I think that's almost 60 channels and I can watch all the local broadcasts I can stand that way, all live programming, all regular on air programming.