Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
john3340

Roku can only find 1 network in the neighborhood (and it's not mine)... Why?

I have an Express+ I bought in 2019 and now (after sitting unused for a while) it only discovers 1 network in my crowded neighborhood and of course it's not mine. I've tried many times; unplugging it, pinning it and anything else on my end but no help.  Any ideas what's going on or is this unit just toast.  Thanks

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku can only find 1 network in the neighborhood (and it's not mine)... Why?

Possible cause:

Router updates from some internet providers lately have turned the 2.4 GHz band of dual band routers off, just leaving the 5 GHz band. 

Your Express+ has a single band wifi and can only use the 2.4 GHz wifi band on channels 1-11.  It cannot even see the 5 GHz band, let alone connect to it.

If that proves to be the problem you'll want to have your 2.4 GHz band turned back on.  If you can't do that yourself you may need to have your internet provider do it.

If you have other wifi-equipped devices (phone, tablet, smart tv, etc), if they can tell you what wifi band and channel they are connecting to it might help diagnose the problem.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos