Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Roket

Re: Roku Ultra won't connect via Wired connection

Jump to solution

Hi All,

@RokuDanny-R solution is not a solution for me unfortunately. I can get into the plex app on my TV (which appears to be the latest version as no updates are available) but it will not connect to my Synology NAS box via a wired or wireless connection, the latest version of the plex media server is installed on the NAS box but  I just get the standard "No connection The server is unavailable at this time" This issue is very recent as yesterday the plex app installed on my PC was finding the NAS box media just fine and had worked fine for over 5 years. These are the steps I have tried to fix the issue, in no particular order.

1. Restarts: Router, Plex Media Server and NAS box

2. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Plex App on my Roku Box

3. The Roku box diagnostics say I have an internet connection so I presume the ethernet and WiFi are functional but the Roku box disagrees. I also have a HUMAX box connected to my home network. It finds the NAS Box and the movie files on it although it simply sees them as a media share but it does see them. The Roku box on the same network does not.

4. I can access the NAS media server from my PC and play media on my PC. The Plex home page displays my home movie collection exactly how it used to on my TV

5. On my PC the network app shows the Roku Box and my NAS box as devices on my home network

If anyone else has experienced this kind of issue recently would like to know if you fixed it and how

0 Kudos
EMT_Hawk
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have a fresh-from-box Ultra.  I have connected it to my cable with nothing between the device and the cable box.  On boot, I am able to connect the controller, and select language.

It is "unable to find Ethernet."  Error 013.50

I have tested this with multiple cables.  Same error.

This is the second Ultra that I have purchased to do this with.  Same error.  Wifi works fine.

The location I am installing this does not have wifi, or I would be using that, rather than attempting to use a cable.

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @EMT_Hawk,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We appreciate you letting us know about your problem connecting your Roku Ultra to the network. We'll be glad to assist. Please be advised that error codes 012 and 013 are caused by Ethernet cable issues.

Try the following tips to fix ethernet cable errors on your Roku streaming device:

• Unplug the Ethernet cable from your streaming device and router, and then plug it back in. You can also restart the router.
  • Try a different Ethernet cable.
  • Switch to a Wi-Fi connection instead.
  • Try a mobile hotspot using cellular data.

For more details, you can check out this support article on how to fix internet errors and issues on your Roku streaming device. We hope this helps.

Kind regards,                                                                                                                                        Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
EMT_Hawk
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Is there a "known good" brand cable?

I have tested 3 cables on this device.

• Unplug the Ethernet cable from your streaming device and router, and then plug it back in. You can also restart the router.

Did this, no changes.  Multiple times.  Confirmed that the modem was working correctly, with the Provider.  Did this each time I changed network patch cables.

• Try a different Ethernet cable.

Tried three.  Each cable worked on my computer, I was able to ping Google.  Part of my job is in a server room, and I have a cable tester as part of my toolkit.  Each cable tested just fine.

• Switch to a Wi-Fi connection instead.

If I had a wi-fi connection, why would I be trying to connect my Roku via an ethernet cable?

• Try a mobile hotspot using cellular data.

I am using this in a known-good network environment.  Wi Fi is just not an option.

This is the *second* Roku Ultra that I have had this problem with.  The first one I worked with the Roku Tech support on the phone, and they told me that I should go buy a new Roku Ultra.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @EMT_Hawk,

Thank you for keeping us posted here in the Roku Community!

Despite having completed every step of the troubleshooting process, the problem still exists. Since it was an Ethernet cable issue, we advise you to contact your Internet service provider to ask for further assistance.

If you need anything else, please keep us posted.

Kind regards,                                                                                                                                        John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@EMT_Hawk 

Do you mind starting from the beginning again?  Not sure if missing something.  Seeing some info like "wifi works fine", but then "location does not have wifi".  Also, "nothing between device and cable box", and use of term "patch cables".

If we can nail down some terminology (just to make sure we are both speaking same language and referring to same pieces of individual equipment).

1. What is your actual setup?  Do you have a seperate cable modem and an additional router, or is this a cable modem with ethernet/LAN ports on the back (combination modem and router in single unit).  Model number of the device(s) would be helpful.  I am assuming you did not mean that you are trying to connect the Roku device to the back of a cable TV box. (if so, that connection will not work.  Those ethernet ports are generally for diagnostics and not internet/network data transfer).

2. Are the patch cables you are using just standard 5/6 straight ethernet cables?  If so, since you have access to some network equipment, are you able to try using a "crossover cable" or at least a cross-over adapter on one end of the cable. (may be able to help isolate if there is an issue with your hardware.  There is a possibility that there may be an issue with the MDIX function of your modem/router).  Not high on the list, but still a possibility.  As for your question regarding any known good brand cables, I have used cheap $ store ethernet cables to 20yr old hand-made ethernet cables I have lying around and they all work fine with the Roku devices. (RokuTV and Ultra).

3. Is it possible to take the Ultra to another location to test the ethernet capability?  Or at least swap out the modem or router you are trying to connect it to.  At a minimum, are you able to test the LAN port of the modem/router, as opposed to testing the cable? (since the cables already seem to be working with other devices).  And you are sure you are plugging the ethernet cable into the LAN port and not the WAN port of your modem/router?

----

The above would be where I would start in diagnosing.  I can't see two Ultras being defective regarding their ethernet capability, so need to explore the network hardware and setup as initial culprits.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
EMT_Hawk
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I do network support for a living.

Do you mind starting from the beginning again?  Not sure if missing something.  Seeing some info like "wifi works fine", but then "location does not have wifi".  Also, "nothing between device and cable box", and use of term "patch cables".

If we can nail down some terminology (just to make sure we are both speaking same language and referring to same pieces of individual equipment).

Wifi works fine:  I had the device at home, where I have wifi and set it up.  Brought it to the site and connected it with known good network cables, and it would not connect.  Did this with both modems.

Known good network cables:  all the cables were connected to the single network jack on the modem, and to a computer.  All the cables provided network connectivity between the computer and the modem.

Patch cables:  Cables used to connect network items, going from switch to switch.  Because you ask this later, all my crossover cables are bright red, so they can be *easily* identified.

1. What is your actual setup?  Do you have a seperate cable modem and an additional router, or is this a cable modem with ethernet/LAN ports on the back (combination modem and router in single unit).  Model number of the device(s) would be helpful.  I am assuming you did not mean that you are trying to connect the Roku device to the back of a cable TV box. (if so, that connection will not work.  Those ethernet ports are generally for diagnostics and not internet/network data transfer).

It is a cable modem, with no router, and it has one network jack on the back of it.  It is provided by Spectrum.  Person who owns this did not want to have wifi in his house.  There is no cable TV box, only a modem.  That's why he wants a Roku, to replace the cable TV, since he is paying $150 a month for TV.  I have already had a conversation with Spectrum, and they state that their modem is working correctly, and I have zero evidence that there is a problem with the modem, other than the Roku.

2. Are the patch cables you are using just standard 5/6 straight ethernet cables?  If so, since you have access to some network equipment, are you able to try using a "crossover cable" or at least a cross-over adapter on one end of the cable. (may be able to help isolate if there is an issue with your hardware.  There is a possibility that there may be an issue with the MDIX function of your modem/router).  Not high on the list, but still a possibility.  As for your question regarding any known good brand cables, I have used cheap $ store ethernet cables to 20yr old hand-made ethernet cables I have lying around and they all work fine with the Roku devices. (RokuTV and Ultra).

addressed above.

3. Is it possible to take the Ultra to another location to test the ethernet capability?  Or at least swap out the modem or router you are trying to connect it to.  At a minimum, are you able to test the LAN port of the modem/router, as opposed to testing the cable? (since the cables already seem to be working with other devices).  And you are sure you are plugging the ethernet cable into the LAN port and not the WAN port of your modem/router?

I have ONE network jack on the modem.  it works with the computer.  The cables work with the computer.  The Roku is the only thing that I have plugged in to that, and not worked.  For two Rokus.

Hawk

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@EMT_Hawk, you need a router.  As far as I know, Roku devices won't work on a public IP address.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@EMT_Hawk wrote:

"I do network support for a living...

---

Good deal.  Depending on the Spectrum model number, and building on @renojim, you should bring a router over to this customer and plug into the Spectrum modem. (You can also try a switch, but I would use an actual router with a DHCP server that you can fiddle with.).

I have been able to get RokuTVs and Roku Ultras to connect to the internet via ethernet and older modems (when router was suspect), but have not tried this with a Spectrum modem. (the private IP shown will be the modem's reserved IP/starting IP).

If adding the router allows the Roku device to work, then you can purchase an ethernet-only router for this customer if they are concerned about wifi. (however, unless you physically disable the wifi capability internal to the Roku device (module), it will still broadcast a wireless private network).

If wifi does not pose a problem for the customer (when they realize they can save $150 /mo by switching to Roku or similar strreaming device, then you can simply replace that Spectrum modem with any compatible docsis 3.0/3.1 router and likely be good to go.

If you provide the Spectrum model number, can see what capabilities/limitations it actually has.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos