Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jayg8947
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Ultra won't connect via Wired connection

Jump to solution

I had the very same problem with a new Roku Ultra (4670X) and tried resetting the modem and the ONT and the patch cord without success. I plugged the Ethernet cord that my Roku Ultra wouldn't recognize into my laptop and the laptop worked just  great. I am using a  GreenWave C4000XG router on a CenturyLInk fiber optic 940 Mbs connection,

Here's what worked for me.

1. I logged onto the router (http://192.168.0.1) ignoring warnings about it's not being a safe site
  2. I went to “Advanced setup\Security\Application Forwarding”..
  3. In the “Select Device” drop-down box, I selected “Roku Ultra Family Room”.
  4. In the “Application Category” drop-down box,  I selected “Applications”
  5. In the  “Applications” drop-down box,  I selected “Windows Media Streaming”,
  6. Don't forget to click “Apply”
  7. The router created two entries in the Application Forwarding List with TCP-UDP ports1755 and 7007 for the Roku Ultra Family Room device.
  8. I tried “Settings\Network\Set up connection\Wired,” and the connection occurred within seconds.
  9. Here's the weird thing: I installed a Roku 3 (4230XT) to a different TV, anticipating that it would not connect until I entered another Application Forwarding entry into the router for this Roku 3. Oddly, it connected right away without any entry into the Application Forwarding List.
  10. I removed the entries from the Application Forwarding List.

It's been a month or two since this fix and it continues to work like a charm,,

Jayg8947

0 Kudos
junepinkrose062
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am having this problem. I have the roku ultra it cannot find that it’s plugged into the internet. I have tried rebooting the roku and router. Without any luck. The roku can be setup wirelessly but I said it does have an Internet plug in it. june

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

Thanks for letting us know what you are seeing.

We recommend rebooting both your router and your Roku device. We would also recommend trying another ethernet cable.

The error code you mentioned is detailed in our Support resources here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Please keep us posted!

Thanks,
Danny

newtond29
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you Jg897.  I tried your suggestions although my Netgear R7000 did not permit me to set the ports.  I chose media streaming, same as for the TIVO, but both Roku Premiere and Ultra failed to see the internet although they see the network.  The Premiere had been working for 5 years with the Netgear R7000 and the Ultra installed in February, worked for 4 months on ethernet.  Download speed on wireless is adequate however 80 mbps to 160 mbps. Ethernet is typically 850 to 950 mbps.

0 Kudos
ErnestNM
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

newtond29,

Given the comments related to this issue, the various different solutions, and my own experience in getting mine to connect at high speed and stay connected, I believe that Roku might be controlling this from their end. They might want people to connect wirelessly for some reason.

However, it may be that the Roku unit or your router has an auto-speed-negotiation implementation that is not totally IEEE compliant. My unit obtained a very slow 1Mbps throughput which is a common characteristic of a slow connection where one or both of the units have non-IEEE compliant auto-negotiation. I changed the speed setting on my router to 100Mbs fixed since I don't need anything more than that in my house and my unit connected at max speed immediately and has functioned as such since. However, the unit was connected at 1Mbps overnight so Roku could have done something from their end to fix the issue. I don't know.

You might want to review my post on 04-25-2020 11:53 AM and try fixing the ethernet speed on your router.

Sincerely,
Ernie

0 Kudos
BobArm
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have several Roku Ultra units that I've purchased over a period of many months. Most typically, these units fail to connect via Ethernet, although typically (but not consistently or immediately), I am able to get them to achieve a wireless connection. I've tried all the tricks of rebooting the wireless router and restarting the Roku unit. I appear to get better wireless connectivity by using fixed IP addresses, which I've now done for all my Roku units (both the Ultra and a number of wireless-only unites), with the Roku Ultra units having different fixed IP addresses for both the wired and wireless MAC addresses. I have a NETGEAR Nighthawk router on which I've attempted the suggested Port Forwarding fix that appears earlier in this string, but that appeared to have no impact. I wish that Roku WOULD ALLOW SETTING FIXED IP ADDRESSES FOR ITS UNITS! When I've had other connectivity issues with other Ethernet/WiFi devices on my Nighthawk router, being able to set fixed IP addresses has largely solved the connectivity issue. As for Roku support, I've need nothing that is helpful notwithstanding that the connectivity issue here appears to be quite widespread and longstanding. Very frustrating.

0 Kudos
JBHOB

Jump to solution

Tons of people are having this problem, no solution from Roku. It’s a disgrace. I will look for an alternative device.

mgrimmenator
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This does not work. I have been using my wired connection without issue for about a year or so now. After the recent update a few weeks or so ago it just stopped working. No power surges or anything. I've tried resetting connection turn off or about an hour by uplugging power, restarted router, swapped cables all that and the wired connection still will not work. In fact before I even do a test on it, it already has an X over the wired connection. Its like stuck in "i don't work" mode. Is there another method to actually wipe it out? I even turned off the Roku and went into my router settings and deleted the device so next time it would come up as a new device. Doesn't matter it MUST be in the Roku itself. What can be done to fix this?

0 Kudos
mgrimmenator
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

my thoughts exactly, if no solutions soon, then i'm swapping out ALL my roku devices for Fire Stick's

0 Kudos
IronM

Jump to solution

Had same problem. Was able to resolve by going to connected devices in router settings, disconnect Roku, and reconnecting again. Hope it works for you. 

boogernose
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Reboot the Router and the Roku and just to be sure flush your toilet.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos