Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmontana
Reel Rookie

Roku Model 3910RW Express+ doesn't work with Motorola Router MG7700

I tried buying my own modem/router, Motorola MG7700, instead of using Xfinity rented modem/router. My Roku Express+ Model 3910RW recognizes the router, appears to be accepting it in wireless connection setup but drops. None of the apps work. The roku shows as updated with software version 11.5.0 build 6040-51.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Model 3910RW Express+ doesn't work with Motorola Router MG7700

Hi @jmontana 

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Since your internet service provider is Xfinity, we would recommend changing your router settings for the 2.4 GHz band from g/n to b/g/n, as customers have stated that this helped resolve their issue.

Let us know how it goes.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
jmontana
Reel Rookie

Kariza, thank you for the quick reply. I checked with Motorola. They said that their MG7700 router's 2.4 band is backward compatible and does not require a change in setting from g/n to b/g/n. So, I'm  not sure how this was achieved by other Roky customers with this particular modem. Thank you though.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@jmontana 

Thanks for the reply.

Could you try connecting to an alternate wireless network such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you're still experiencing the issue?

Keep us posted!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@RokuKariza-D wrote:

Since your internet service provider is Xfinity, we would recommend changing your router settings for the 2.4 GHz band from g/n to b/g/n, as customers have stated that this helped resolve their issue.

The fact that Xfinity is his ISP doesn't matter.  He has stated that he is using his own router, no Xfinity's.

@jmontana wrote:

I checked with Motorola. They said that their MG7700 router's 2.4 band is backward compatible and does not require a change in setting from g/n to b/g/n.

It's not that the router needs to be set to b/g/n in order to function, it's that the Roku needs to have the b protocol in use in order to function correctly in all circumstances. Please change the router's setting 2.4 GHz protocol setting to b/g/n as advised and see if this helps.  After doing so, it's probably a good idea to restart both the router and then the Roku.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos