Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lmontalti
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Express not detecting wifi

Jump to solution

Hi,

I used the phone as a hotspot but Roku didn't recognize

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@lmontalti wrote:

Hi,

I used the phone as a hotspot but Roku didn't recognize

OK, if you Roku sees absolutely zero WiFi connection points, then something is wrong, and more than likely it's the Express. Send a private message to @RokuDanny-R with your account and player particulars and he can see what can be done from Roku's side. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@lmontalti 

Thanks for the posts.

I would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Please answer the following questions so we can get a better understanding of what you are seeing:

- Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? The Roku Express is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. 
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 
- How long have you been experiencing this problem?

If those things still aren't helping, feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku from Settings>System>About along with the answers to the above questions and I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
stevesobol
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My Frontier FiOS router had "Total Wireless Control" turned on, and both 2.4G and 5G had the same network name. I turned Total Wireless Control off, gave the 2.4G network a different name from the 5G, and had my Express explicitly connect to 2.4G and that solved my problem. I'm thinking the router was trying to negotiate a 5G connection, and obviously was failing.

0 Kudos
Txreilly
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Very frustrating.  Phoned Roku support line for this same issue.  Purchased 3 Roku Premieres because I like Roku.  Replaced one with the Premier, no problem.  Added one, no problem.  Downloaded "Roku - Official Remote" for iPhone.  Still everything working.  All of the sudden the two new Rokus and another on the same network all stop working.  None of the three can find the network and all three areas are getting the same signal that has been working for years.  Got a recording on Roku # 1 (816) 272-8107 saying no support due to Covid-19.  Been through all the support articles I can find.  NOTHING.  I can't even find an email address for Roku support.  It's shameful. 

stevesobol
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@Txreilly 

Did you try the fix that worked for me?

0 Kudos
Natalie86

Jump to solution

I have this problem so I have to reset my router 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I have the SAME PROBLEM.  Why isn't anyone helping to fix this issue at Roku??  Verizon FiOS recently put out 5G power to everything.  I figure this probably has something to do with not being able to get into Roku?  A user said "Do not reboot your router??"  What other choice do I have - no one is helping correct this issue!

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@lcancillieri wrote:

I have the SAME PROBLEM.  Why isn't anyone helping to fix this issue at Roku??  Verizon FiOS recently put out 5G power to everything.  I figure this probably has something to do with not being able to get into Roku?  A user said "Do not reboot your router??"  What other choice do I have - no one is helping correct this issue!

5G is a cellular network. It has nothing to do with WiFi. Don't confuse the terms.

The Roku Express has always been a single band WiFi device, so only supports 2.4 GHz. For current Roku players, only the Ultra and the Streaming Stick+ have dual band radios and support the 5 GHz radio band. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thanks for a reply Dan.  I don't know what I'm talking about:  I have the original hand held remote (enhanced) that has the pairing button inside.  I've been using this remote continually for years, worked fine.  Today I went to go on Roku.  All it says on tv screen is "Roku."  Can't get any further.  Remote won't do anything.  It attempts to go from "Roku" screen to blue screen, but jumps back to "Roku" screen.  Can you tell me in laymen's terms what's happening.  Would like to keep my original remote.  THANKS!  (Batteries okay, pulled out plug, pressed remote button, etc.)

0 Kudos