Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BillMlod55
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Community Spectrum wi-fi keeps dropping

Jump to solution

I'm pretty sure it's a Spectrum issue as shortly after they did an update to our community wi-fi thngs started working again. 

Also, see my previous post about using a travel router and setting a different DNS and that helped.

0 Kudos
CavalierX
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

It’s not a Spectrum issue BUT being on a community WiFi plan really is a pain for these kinds of interoperability issues.  It’s a DNS or ping connection test that ROKU is doing and getting blocked that makes it “think” it’s not connected, when in fact it really still is connected OK.  Whatever Spectrum is doing to keep the network more secure is what is causing the repeated failures.  This same problem happened to me in the summer and was fixed for a few months and then now hasn’t worked again since October due to a ROKU FW update smh

0 Kudos
BillMlod55
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply, I have traced it to DNS. I setup a simple home router, connected it to Spectrum and then changed the DNS to a public one, haven't dropped the connection in a few months. I do test the Spectrum connection at times but it still drops so I just leave my TV's connected to my little router.

CavalierX
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks that is what I was going to try as well, but Spectrum told me they wouldn’t allow a personal router on their WiFi connection due to “whatever bs reason they said” smh.  I have a simple repeater I am going to try and hope it’s agnostic enough where I can simply just add the MAC to the device list.

0 Kudos
BryanM

Jump to solution

It's someting to do with Spectrum. I had the same issue with all my roku devices and roku tvs. I called Spectrum and it took them some time with their setting changed being sent to my router and it fixed the issue for about a month.My Samsumg and Vizio tvs stay connected and never have that problem.

0 Kudos
CavalierX
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

It’s not Spectrum, although they can make public DNS (like Google 8.8.8.8 etc) and is temporary fix.  The issue resides with Roku firmware on connection detection algorithm.  When I called Spectrum since it’s Spectrum Business and community WiFi they CANNOT update any settings specific to just this issue.  They are aware and working with Roku to fix it but it’s been several months now and NO UPDATE FROM ROKU

0 Kudos
CavalierX
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thank you ROKU for FINALLY fixing this issue!  Jan 25 firmware update 12.5.5 Build 4174 has resolved this issue 👏🏼 please do NOT rollback any fixes like last August where this problem came back again.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.