Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AESBP
Reel Rookie

Frequent Buffering While Watching TV

As referenced in title, also causing poor TV clarity.  BTW, Roku chat system is horrible.  Waited for 45 minutes without receiving help.  Also, I can’t find a phone number to call?!?!  I’ve got Verizon 5G WiFi.  I spent time with their support service and they determined my WiFi connection was strong.  I also couldn’t fix the buffering issue by reseting the Roku device and after following the Roku directions on my TV screen.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
mop_891
Roku Guru

Re: Frequent Buffering While Watching TV

@AESBP 

If it was me, first thing I'd do is see what connection speed the ROKU is getting. On your home screen menu click settings>network>check connection. That will show you "internet download speed". If your ROKU is connected wired, it should be around 92-93 Mbps. From what I heard here Wireless will be at most around 230 Mbps. If the wireless speed is really low, it could mean the wireless connection to you ROKU has a problem. Could be a weak signal. Also could mean you are sending WIFI to your ROKU overloaded wireless channel, can happen if lots of folks around you using WIFI. If your connection speed is below 25-30 Mbps, that could cause buffering and poor picture quality.

0 Kudos
AESBP
Reel Rookie

Thanks so much for the reply.  You’re right.  My internet download speed is poor (<1 Mbps).  I’m searching but can’t find instructions on how to fix this???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @AESBP,

Greetings from the Roku Community, and thanks for keeping us posted!

If you experience poor video quality video or rebuffering on a regular basis across multiple streaming channels it may be due to a slow network caused by a poor wireless signal, issues with your router, or the quality of your internet service. Review the tips for improving the wireless connection to your Roku device.

We hope this helps.

Kind regards,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
AESBP
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, that was my first thought, and first call.  I have Verizon 5G and spoke with them.  They researched the matter and determined all was well on there side.  

Uggghhhh….

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @AESBP,

Thanks for the response.

We are interested in learning more about the problem you are experiencing. Can you please refer to the following questions to help us to assist you further:

• What Roku device are you using right now that has an issue? (e.g., Roku Express, Roku Streambar, Roku TV—specify TV.)
  • Does your buffering happen on a specific channel or all the channels installed on your Roku device?
  • Have you tried connecting your Roku device to an alternative wireless connection, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you are still experiencing the same issue?

Feel free to keep us posted, and we'll continue assisting you from there.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.