Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
noellem21
Reel Rookie

Connected to internet but apps/live TV not working

My Roku player is connected to the internet but live tv and apps will not work. I have turned it on/off, unplugged tv and device/plugged back in, I have done a system restart, and a network connection reset. Nothing is working. It says my internet network name, that it’s connected, and the strength is ‘good’. My internet router is 3feet from the device. 

Labels (1)
7 REPLIES 7
CWassom
Reel Rookie

Re: Connected to internet but apps/live TV not working

I’m having the exact same problem, so frustrating. 

RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hello! @CWassom@noellem21,

Thank you for posting in the Roku Community!

Hey there! We appreciate you contacting us about your apps and live TV not working. We're more than happy to help you out!

• What Roku device are you using right now?
  • Does the issue occur only on one channel, multiple channels, or all channels?
  • Is this the first time you have experienced this issue? When did the problem start?

If you're experiencing a "multiple channel issue" on your Roku, follow these steps to fix it:

1. Restart your Roku device.
2. Check your internet connection to ensure it's working correctly and has a strong signal.
3. Delete the affected channels, restart your device, and re-add the channels.
4. Consider restarting your router as well.
5. Go to Settings > System > System/software update to ensure your Roku runs the latest software.

You can connect your streaming device to a mobile hotspot as a temporary workaround to ensure there is no issue with your device.

For additional troubleshooting steps on fixing internet issues, please visit How to Fix Internet errors and issues on your Roku streaming device.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

@noellem21While I can't guarantee this will work, the most common issue is channel congestion, so I'd recommend you install WiFi Analyzer for Android or something similar if you use an iPhone. Once installed you will see how many others are using the same channel, then log into the router and switch to a channel with less congestion.  Since your router is close to the device, you can also look into switching from the 5 gHz band to the 2.4 gHz and see if it improves.. hope that helps 🙂

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
0 Kudos

I came seeking a solution for this too and came across your post. It is so frustrating, the TV displays the internet is connected with excellent signal nonetheless NONE of the apps work, mind you I pay for them! Even the gaming system that's connected to the TV works!! 😬 I've tried:

• unplugging the router,
  • unplugging the TV
  • resetting the router 
  • system reset
  • Internet reset
  • The router is less than 4 feet away
  • Software update 

Still nothing!! I've called the support line and they don't know either. It's really frustrating. 

0 Kudos
Ed_Acciardi
Reel Rookie

I’m having the same exact problem with my three Roku 4802X players.  They were all working fine for over a year, then yesterday - nothing worked. The Roku says that it’s connected to the internet, but when I launch *any* of my many apps, nothing happens.

i think Roku somehow changed something that destroyed my boxes.

0 Kudos
CWassom
Reel Rookie

Seems to me the last update that happened on my device is where the problem started and this is a Roku problem and not a problem with my device per se. I’ve done all the above aside from deleting channels and reinstalling because I have no clue how to delete them. Since absolutely no channels work and I haven’t added anything to cause channel congestion I don’t believe that’s the problem. Your last update to my device on 10/4/2024 seems to be the problem. As I was on vacation I didn’t know I had a problem until I returned. Now my Roku is useless and I have no access to the only 2 channels I use. My device is Roku Express 3960X.

0 Kudos
Amecle1

Tried everything you listed. Nothing helped. Apps & channels that I pay for are no longer working after the last update. What’s the resolution? 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.